Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences
Oakland City University invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. As an integral part of the university, the School of Arts and Sciences seeks to educate the whole person in preparation for service and leadership in local and global communities. Most of the Foundational Core courses required of all degree students are taught in this school. The Foundational Core curriculum is designed to prepare students to think logically, communicate clearly, solve problems, clarify values, function within social institutions, use science and technology, and appreciate art. The school offers associate and bachelor degrees in Art, Criminal Justice, Graphic and Web Design, Biology, Communications, English, Mathematics, Music, Psychology, Global Studies and Worship Arts.
- Terminal degree appropriate for faculty appointment in the school
- Minimum of three (3) years university teaching experience
- Record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service
- Administrative leadership at the Department Chair, Associate Dean, Dean or equivalent level
- Prior experience with higher education accreditation standards and processes preferred
- Experience with college-level academic program assessment, online teaching, and integration of technology in teaching preferred
Academic deans at Oakland City University serve as the facilitating link among faculty, staff, students and university leadership, playing key roles as academic leaders of their schools, representatives of schools to the rest of the university, representatives of university leadership to their schools, managers of school resources, and representatives of the school and university to external bodies.
The Dean’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Representing views of faculty to university and external persons and bodies (e.g., university administration, faculty, current and prospective students, staff, accrediting agencies, media, government bodies).
- Overseeing and managing effective implementation of academic programs within the school (e.g., development and implementation of course schedules, course offering, teaching assignments, catalog review, program review, and continuous improvement);
- Leading school efforts towards achieving university goals and ensuring established university policies and regulations are observed;
- Developing a school budget and managing the fiscal affairs of the school, including oversight of budget(s) implementation in the school;
- Leading and coordinating school strategic planning, assessment, and curriculum development in alignment with university and school mission and vision;
- Leading and coordinating governance of the school, including immediate supervision of school faculty and staff;
- Supervising, evaluating, and supporting schools in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, student learning, scholarly and creative productivity and service;
- Overseeing processes of faculty and staff recruitment, selection, appointment, retention, evaluation and promotion;
- Advising the Provost on university policies, procedures, and initiatives through active participation in relevant university groups such as the Dean’s Council, Provost Advisory Council, and Faculty Assembly;
- Coordinating professional development of school faculty and staff in collaboration with other relevant university staff;
- Leading all efforts toward external accreditations required for the school and its programs;
- Assisting in university and school-level advancement efforts.
If interested in the position, please respond by submitting a completed employment application form (available at http://www.oak.edu/about/careers-at-ocu), a detailed letter describing relevant experiences, and a current curriculum vitae. References will be requested for applicants who are being strongly considered.
Apply for Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly