The Center Student Involvement & Leadership Specialist (Student Life Specialist)
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers Bachelors and Masters Degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
Student Affairs is an innovative, team-oriented division that provides integrated, student-centered educational activities that empower students to lead engaged socially responsible lives. Operating in a commuter, urban environment, John Jay students are affected by many external factors. This drives us to provide as many high-touch interactions as efficiently as possible while following best practices in the student affairs field.
The Center for Student Involvement & Leadership (CSIL) is a part of the Student Affairs Division. The division provides an array of intellectual and experiential opportunities for students to become engaged citizens through its various departments which support student organizations; social events; athletics; theatrical productions; community and service learning opportunities, as well as student support services that enhance their collegiate experience.
The Center Student Involvement & Leadership Specialist will report to the Director of CSIL. In addition to the general duties listed under the CUNY title overview, this position will:
- Support the goals and objectives of CSIL within the needs of the John Jay community, and provide excellent customer service to students/faculty/staff.
- Work with student leaders and organizations to develop and implement programs and activities of student interest, with a foundation in learning outcomes; managing expenditures while creating sound organizational structure.
- Assist student organization members in understanding procedures including, but not limited to posting policy, provision of food and beverage policy, room reservations, and travel policy.
- Review and approve all student organization paperwork for speakers, entertainers, supplies, etc.
- Assist in the overall planning, management and execution of student co-curricular programming focused on leadership, diversity and community building and will assume responsibility for one or more specific programs.
- Oversee the process of Student Council elections as well as executives of clubs.
- Work with a variety of constituent groups including Student Council, Judicial Board and Campus Activity Board.
- Design, develop and/or update departmental materials including but not limited to marketing materials, advisor's handbook and student organization handbook
- Manage the departmental Collegiate Link database (Bloodhound Central).
- Perform assessment and evaluation of departmental programming.
- Assist in developing workshops/trainings to assist student organizations.
- Provide supervision to evening and weekend student activities/events as required.
- Participate in annual events such as Weeks of Welcome, Graduate Salute, Commencement, etc.
- Serve on planning committees as needed.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Master's degree (preferred)
- Campus Labs and Collegiate Link experience (preferred)
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Departmental programming experiences
- Excellent understanding of social media
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership skills
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Develops and implements programming, services, and learning opportunities for students, promoting the personal development of a diverse student population.
- Administers one or more student affairs programs, providing program management, assistance with policy development, supervision and training of all professional and support staff, budget monitoring, and report preparation
- Serves as a resource to student groups and/or populations as a consultant and advocate for their concerns
- Researches and stays current on higher education programs, trends, and issues with student impact
- Produces workshops and materials to support student programs; manages on-line communities; develops on-line social networking activities, and develops and maintains multimedia content on program web sites
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$47,340 - $51,126.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on any website other than CUNYFirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Search by job Opening ID number (16745)
- Click on "more options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
July 6, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: The Center Student Involvement & Leadership Specialist (Student Life Specialist)
Job ID: 16745
Full/Part Time: Full-Time