Director, Clinical Operations, Dept of Medicine
Director, Clinical Operations, Dept of Medicine
Medicine - General
Provide leadership for the development and administration of Department of Medicine clinical operations aimed at continuously improving the Department's performance. Identify opportunities for improved performance throughout the Department. Coordinate the Department's ongoing efforts to enhance access to outpatient services. Direct plans, schedules, task assignments, and allocation of manpower, space, and equipment to ensure conformance with Departmental commitments. Evaluate effectiveness of improvement strategies through sustained monitoring of performance. Contribute to the establishment of clinical performance metrics for physicians across the Department of Medicine.
Analysis & Reporting
Consistently generates an overall contribution to the positive margin of the Department by developing and analyzing data to track productivity and profitability. Includes but not limited to:
- Modeling and projecting to determine expected volumes and number providers needed to maintain and grow Medicine clinical programs
- Facilitating process improvements across the Department clinical enterprise
- Identifying and isolating billing opportunities, deficiencies, errors, charge corrections, trends, etc.
- Generation of sub-specialty reports to review sub-specialty revenue, compare provider data, trend growth over time, and isolate any potential billing/payment issues
- wRVU analyses and recommendations to clinical leadership
- Monitor faculty productivity and access to ensure Departmental/Divisional metrics are achieved
- Evaluating and analyzing clinic template issues and opportunities
- Creating and providing objective data and feedback to faculty
Project Leadership & Management
Initiate, create, lead, and manage projects as appropriate to add value to clinical administration and positive revenue impact across the Department. Assist Departmental leadership in the reorganization, integration, consolidation, and management of access functions and improvements across DoM. Serve as Medicine lead with PDC administration, physicians, and DUHS service groups to coordinate clinical business, accomplish directives, and facilitate resolution of identified issues.
- Review all of the monthly dashboards and evaluate opportunities for change
- Regular collaboration with Performance Services to further analyze data
- Clinic access and scheduling processes in DoM
- Investigate and respond to patient/referral source complaints
- Lead the coordinated effort across the Department to support Duke Health access improvement and redesign activities
- Meet regularly with faculty and personnel and serve as a key member of the administrative team for the Department. Keep physician leaders and practice members informed of administrative issues or changes.
- Promote the development of a new work force management process, methodology, and standards
Clinic & Divisional Interaction
- Liaison between clinic leadership, provider, and requisite division personnel
- Negotiate for clinic space with appropriate leadership
- Serve as a liaison and value-added resource between division and department
- Review billing issues with revenue manager
- First line contact for providers regarding corrections and questions including inpatient billing
- Ensure comprehensive and efficient onboarding for new physicians
- Analyze master template changes and trends
- Optimize Medicine templates to improve outpatient clinical productivity
- Track physician clinical expectations
- Track clinic schedules and sites
- Monitor and approve bump requests and address those bumps that are submitted less than six weeks in advance
- Complete Provider Enrollment information for PRMO
- Work with Provider and Division Administrator to negotiate appropriate template (how many new slots, how many return slots, length of visit, start time, end time, etc.)
- Manage template change requests
- Evaluate impact on rework of bumped patients
- Evaluate scheduling efficiencies
- Evaluate impact of provider dashboards
- Coordinate new clinic programs/clinics, new providers/terminating providers, and new locations/cancelled locations with the Vice Chair for the Clinical Practice
- Serve as the Access representative/liaison on key committees and work groups.
- Direct scheduling guidelines oversight, review, and updates
- Continuously improve scheduling and accuracy across the Department
- Lead and/or support the Departmental and Duke Primary Care Access Performance Reviews.
- Facilitate the development of access operational improvement tactics and strategies
- Directs the ongoing development and maintenance of the Access Dashboard
* Proven innovation and initiative to anticipate, develop, and implement new procedures, practices and processes adaptable to constantly changing work patterns and business methods, to solve unusual and new concerns using means, which establish effective and efficient precedents.
* Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to identify problems and develop innovative solutions.
* Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations, identify and analyze problems and develop options and recommendations for resolution.
* Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures and to propose solutions to problems and apply solutions to non-recurring or precedent setting situations.
* Proven ability to develop, analyze, and carry out project objectives and work well with others of a diverse nature in achieving organizational goals.
* Proven ability to research, gather and organize information to produce concise reports using various resources.
* Strong leadership skills and ability to take responsibility for assigned areas, and to gain the confidence of clients and colleagues.
* Excellent negotiation skills. Demonstrated counseling techniques with the ability to act as a facilitator, exercise diplomacy, tact, professionalism, responsiveness, a high degree of flexibility, and solve concerns between individuals in a fair and equitable manner.
* Skills, knowledge, and experience in conflict resolution, counseling, mediation.
* Excellent interpersonal, as well as written and verbal communication skills to interact with a variety of personalities at all levels, exercising tact, sound judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness.
* Skill at negotiating with various personalities and developing internal and external network of contacts.
* Proven organizational, analytical and management skills.
* Ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment, and the acumen and sensitivity to identify matters that require higher level management consultation and/or group collaboration.
* Demonstrated ability at presenting a positive, professional and helpful impression and working as a team member.
* Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction.
2354 SENIOR BUSINESS MANAGER
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or a closely related field.
Work requires a minimum of eight years progressively responsible experience in administrative management, to include proficiency in budgeting, grants and contracts, personnel supervision and space and facilities management. A Master's degree in Business Administration, Hospital Administration, Accounting or a closely related field may substitute for two years of required experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.