Veteran Services Technician, Veteran Services
Modesto Junior College
Veteran Services Technician, Veteran Services
2015-2016 Classified Salary Schedule- Range 29: $3,607 to $4,613
40 hours per week, 12 months per year.
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
May include evening and weekend hours.
Complete job description and application available online at: http://yosemite.peopleadmin.com/postings/2763
Under direction, coordinates and performs technical administrative work in support of veterans services programs and services; assists student veterans in identifying and determining eligibility for educational benefits; serves as the District liaison with the California Department of Veteran Affairs (CDVA) and the US Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA); serves as the primary Certifying Official for the delivery of various benefits and services; and performs related work as assigned.
This is a single position, administrative technician class within the Yosemite Community College District (YCCD). The incumbent coordinates and performs specialized administrative functions that require technical knowledge of veterans programs and services in order to make decisions and complete assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
The incumbent in this class works under the direction of senior manager, receiving occasional supervision while working toward a definite objective that requires use of a wide range of procedures. The incumbent plans and/or determines specific procedures or equipment required to meet assigned objectives and solve non-routine problems, referring only unusual matters to a supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Technical administrative methods, procedures, and techniques pertaining to the operation of a veteran service program.
• Modern office practices and administrative procedures.
• Public outreach tools and concepts.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, punctuation and arithmetical processes.
• General college instructional goals and objectives.
• Computerized data management, storage and retrieval systems.
• Effectively and efficiently implement the administrative activities pertaining to a veterans services program.
• Understand and apply veterans educational benefits, and aid veterans in applying and receiving allowed benefits.
• Perform arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• Education: Possession of an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in business administration, marketing or a closely related field.
• Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible administrative support experience, including two years performing technical administrative work in support of veterans programs and services. Experience in an academic setting is desirable.
Example of Duties
• Coordinates and performs complex technical administrative work pertaining to specialized veterans programs and services.
• Meets with students to discuss the educational benefits available to veterans; assists in determining eligibility for the benefit programs.
• Serves as the primary Certifying Official for the college; receives a wide range of forms and documents that are required for benefit application, eligibility and/or delivery; reviews documents for accuracy and completeness and certifies their validity and source; reviews college transcripts, military backgrounds, and other information to identify student eligibility for services; assists veterans in completing and submitting application forms and documents.
• Serves as a technical information resource to student veterans and others regarding available programs and services; explains and interprets policies, regulations and operational procedures to persons contacting the office such as faculty, students, staff and the general public.
• Monitors student enrollment at YCCD to verify that classes meet program and graduation requirements; reviews and identifies non-qualified classes; notifies students regarding classes that are not eligible for program payment; confers with District and Veterans Affairs staff to advise students regarding an appropriate course of study to meet graduation or career requirements.
• Assists students in resolving delinquent benefit payment issues.
• Evaluates program processes and procedures; plans, develops and presents recommendations regarding technical methods and techniques of program administration.
• Assists veterans in transferring their benefits to other colleges and universities.
• Serves as a liaison to the CDVA and USDVA; monitors program activities for compliance with regulations, policies, procedures and requirements; provides information in support of audits and compliance surveys.
• Performs research on internal and external data, methods, mechanisms and processes; performs technical data analyses and comparisons; monitors and reviews veteran-related legislation; compiles, prepares and presents issues/recommendations to management for evaluation.
• Enters, maintains, and tracks complex data in manual and/or automated systems; develops and runs computerized queries; tabulates, summarizes and evaluates data; identifies trends and concerns; prepares summary reports.
• Organizes plans and develops work accomplishment time lines.
• Establishes and maintains complex file and record systems, including those for confidential and sensitive materials.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work is generally performed in a standard office environment.
Licenses and Certificates
Depending upon assignment, a valid license to drive in California may be required.
YCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.