Communications and Marketing Assistant (University Printing)
General Description of Position: The purpose of this position is to produce high-quality printed materials on wide-format printers and high-speed duplicators. This position serves as a primary operator of the digital printing equipment.
Information about the Department: As a full-service printing, copying, and bindery production facility, University Printing is a valuable on-campus resource that takes pride in its 140-year history with Kansas State University.
Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community which can be found at https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
- Operate multiple high speed digital production machines, large format printers and other digital devices to produce high-quality printed materials, both black and white and full color.
- Troubleshoot and perform basic maintenance on digital and bindery equipment.
- Effectively manage time and collaborate with co-workers and clients to establish reasonable deadlines and workload priorities. Communicate with co-workers to ensure jobs are completed on or before established deadlines.
- Accurately report time and material usage on work orders and in billing software to ensure clients are properly invoiced and to maintain inventory control.
- Serve as an initial point of contact for University Printing. Contact with clients may occur in person, via telephone, or electronically. Communicate with clients to ascertain necessary job and contact information in order to provide accurate cost estimates, invoices, and establish reasonable timelines.
- Create job tickets for new printing requests and generate change orders as needed to ensure corrections are made and accurate billing information is recorded. Submit completed job tickets to appropriate university printing staff for review and final billing.
- Communicate with and assist clients with formatting digital files and/or physical documents to ensure high-quality production of printed products that meet or exceed desired outcome. Advise clients regarding file preparation and printing options.
- Monitor material inventory levels and initiate requests to replenish supplies and schedule equipment service.
- Operate finishing and bindery equipment to finish printed materials.
- Prepare materials for delivery to or pick-up by clients to include completing delivery slips with accurate delivery information.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting in other areas of the department performing tasks typical in those areas, loading and unloading delivery trucks, and delivering completed jobs or proofs to clients.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- This position requires an Associate's Degree in relevant field (or work equivalent).
- A minimum of one to two years of relevant experience.
- Valid Driver's License upon employment.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills are preferred.
- A working knowledge of computers, graphic arts programs, digital printing and binding operations.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of printing processes and terminology is essential to work effectively with customers and staff as is the ability to establish and maintain working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Possess a moderate mechanical aptitude to operate and maintain equipment.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Submit cover letter, resume, and the names and full contact information for three references.
Screening of Applications Begins: Immediately, and will continue until position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate: $ 14.21 - $ 21.31 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.