General Description of Position: The Facilities Coordinator will oversee all Natatorium access, sales and services associated with daily operations. They will interview, select, hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate student employees, which include head lifeguards, lifeguards and event supervisors. This position will manage the administration of all aquatic emergency situations, rescues and other incidents that may occur and perform regular safety inspections of pools and equipment. Additionally, they will maintain records including participation numbers, risk management information, payroll information and year-end statistical reviews as well as assist with the oversight of the day-to-day operations as it relates to custodial operations/ management, preventative maintenance and risk management. Furthermore, this position will coordinate special events for all Recreational Services sponsored events.
Information about the Department: Recreational Services’ mission is to develop, promote and manage the administration of recreational and fitness facilities, services and programs for the campus community at Kansas State University. Active and healthy lifestyles enhance opportunities for continuance of personal and professional maintenance and growth. These lifestyles are positively affected by the quality and quantity of the services, programs and facilities we provide. Recreational Services promotes student development and provides leadership opportunities in a diverse setting for its participants and employees.
Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community which can be found at https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
- Oversee all Natatorium entry, sales and services associated with daily operations.
- Manage the administration of all aquatic emergency situations, rescues and other incidents which may occur.
- Manage all Natatorium patron concerns and questions.
- Assist with the upkeep and general maintenance of the Natatorium as it pertains to Recreational Services.
- Perform regular safety inspections of pools and equipment to reduce hazards and to provide maximum safety to the patrons.
- Maintain records including participation numbers, risk management information, payroll information and year-end statistical reviews.
- Review and update employee handbooks for lifeguards and event supervisors including policies, procedures and training methods.
- Assist with oversight of the day-to-day operations as it relates to custodial operations/management, preventative maintenance and risk management.
- Coordinate special events for all Recreational Services sponsored events.
- Advertise, interview, select, hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate student employees, which include head lifeguards, lifeguards and event supervisors.
- Schedule and lead monthly meeting with student employee staff.
- Manage payroll for student employee staff.
- Work with other professional staff on daily facility issues or concerns.
- Work directly with Assistant Director/Facilities Operations to coordinate, organize and communicate all aspects of rental operations at the Peters Recreation Complex, Natatorium and Outdoor Recreation Areas.
- Collaborate with other staff as the main contact in coordination of facility usage for special groups (Manhattan High School Project Graduation, Boy’s Sate, etc.), camps, conferences and workshops. This includes coordination and supervision of the student event supervisors.
- Develop and continue to improve and maintain customer service practices within the program.
- Assist with publicity and public relations of recreational programs including tours of the facility.
- Serve as the departmental contact to the “Campus Tours” program, the Alumni Association Parent Weekend and other related programs.
- Coordinate the administration of activities within the facility such as Junior and Senior Days, Family Days, etc.
- Assist in development and management of the department wide student employee leadership and development program, which includes the student NIRSA club, Rec Ambassadors, departmental internships and special events to enable and further the professional experiences of student staff.
Required Minimum Qualifications: This position requires a High School diploma. Must have a minimum of two years of relevant experience. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Recreational Administration, Physical Education, Sports Administration or a Related Field
- One or more years of supervisory experience in recreational sports programming with major emphasis in facility, personnel and aquatics management.
- Leadership and supervisory skills to hire, train, motivate, supervise and evaluate employees as demonstrated through past supervision of staff.
- Experience in personnel management.
- Ability to positively manage participant-program conflicts, risk management and emergency response.
- Two or more years graduate or professional supervisory experience in same areas
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of basic safety and risk management practices as they relate to recreational and competitive sports and facilities involved as demonstrated in past event and facilities management, pool operations, etc.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate: $32,599 - $50,528
Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.