Manager, Custodial and Grounds (Exempt)
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Special Working Conditions:
The incumbent may be required to work other shifts and weekends as needed.
Salary Range and Max Salary
The application deadline is: Wednesday, June 21, 2017.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Conditions of Employment
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
Employment is contingent upon candidate passing a pre-employment physical exam with the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate is required to complete a background check prior to assuming this position.
Campus Marketing Statement
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Department Marketing Statement
Department: Facilities Services
Facilities Services is responsible for the design, construction, upkeep, repair and maintenance of State owned and operated building space and grounds at the University, totaling in excess of 1,250,000 gross square feet of building space, including 346 acres of grounds, 50% currently in active use, with projected development of the remaining areas over the next 6-8 years. The mission is to provide an aesthetically appealing, well-maintained, safe and comfortable physical environment conducive to learning and work.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Facilities Services, the incumbent provides leadership and management of the University Custodial and Grounds Departments by implementing effective management practices to achieve the goal of maintaining an aesthetically pleasing and safe environment for University students, faculty/staff, and guests. This is a working manager position responsible for planning and coordinating the work of approximately 57 staff and an administrator, providing custodial services of campus buildings, and developing and maintaining campus grounds, including parking areas and athletic fields. The incumbent determines, develops, recommends and implements sound solutions to complex problems that may impact several functional areas. The position also plans and organizes the day-to-day operation of the Custodial and Grounds departments, motivating staff and ensuring the effective and efficient allocation of staffing, materials, and equipment using methods that reflect high quality work and accountability. Leading and developing staff is an important aspect of this position through the use of effective coaching, performance measurement and mentoring. The incumbent provides input in determining annual budgets and ensuring best practices are used in managing departmental budgets. Responsibilities also include establishing custodial and landscape standards, procuring all materials and contracts for services, management of the campus Recycling Program, and other administrative duties.
Required Education: A bachelors degree in horticulture, business administration, management, or a related field.
Preferred Education: A masters degree in horticulture, business administration, or a related field.
Required Experience: Five to seven years experience in supervising others and managing plant operations, custodial or grounds operations; budget management experience; and experience with automated work order system in the maintenance environment. This experience must be within the last ten years of work history.
Preferred Experience: Five or more years of experience managing in a union environment in a college or public sector maintenance department is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively lead and supervise others;
- Ability to immediately exhibit substantive and progressively responsible experience supervising the daily operation, maintenance, and coordination of grounds and custodial/janitorial services grounds in an industrial/commercial/educational environment;
- Demonstrate the application and development of the knowledge and abilities listed above;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with multiple levels within an organization;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with staff and management, which includes thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email;
- Comprehensive knowledge of effective personnel management practices and supervisory skills, including recruitment, training, performance assessment including establishment and monitoring of goals and objectives, motivation and professional development, corrective actions and progressive discipline;
- Knowledge of management and administrative practices related to supervision of a large work force, and have an understanding of progressive discipline in a union environment, including employee evaluations;
- Validate, through actions and decisions the knowledge of management practices related to custodial services, grounds, collective bargaining and related procedures;
- Ability to schedule and inspect the work of all staff;
- Demonstrated ability and/or interest in working in a multicultural/multi-ethnic environment. Must be able to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds;
- Knowledge and ability to develop and maintain an operational budget; and must have experience in front line and departmental management supervision including creating and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety in the work place and ability to observe safety requirements and safe work practices and methods as required;
- Excellent time-management, planning, and organizational skills and ability to multi-task, while attending to detail, and meet the demands of multiple deadlines. Ability to adapt to organizational, procedural, policy, and technological changes;
- Ability to maintain high quality/standards of work, leadership, ethics, commitment, and professional responsibility and judgment. Ability to represent the University and its interests in a professional and conscientious manner;
- Ability to work independently with little instruction, take initiative, and utilize creative problem solving;
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Additional Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of labor management agreements and accompanying labor relations procedures; possession of Arborist and Class I spraying certificates are preferred, including Pest Control Advisor's License (CA DPR), Qualified Applicator Certificate (CA DPR) and Arborist Certification (ISA).
Specialized Materials: The position activities may require the use of the following equipment, machinery, tools, vehicles or office equipment:
Personal computer, photocopier, fax, calculator, multi-line telephone, 2-way radio and other standard office equipment; and may operate automobiles or electric carts in the course and scope of the position. The position also requires the knowledge of the tools and equipment used in custodial and grounds maintenance of facilities and an understanding of safety requirements for heavy equipment.
35% - The incumbent is responsible for the beautification and maintenance of the campus landscape, the cleanliness of all campus building interiors and leadership over all aspects of custodial/grounds maintenance. This includes direct and indirect oversight of the effective planning, management, and daily operations for approximately 57 staff and an administrator, including Lead Custodial and Grounds Workers, Custodial and Grounds Workers, an Irrigation Specialist, a Gardening Specialist, Equipment Operators and the Recycling Coordinator. The incumbent defines priorities of work and communicates this information to all staff involved. Work progress is monitored through daily inspections from early project planning, ongoing projects and maintenance through completion. The incumbent supports a cooperative work environment with members of the campus community by the creation and maintenance of a campus physical environment that is utilized daily for research, instruction, community events/service, and recreation.
25% - Implements best management practices. Implements and monitors University, department and unit policies and procedures. Assures quality standards are implemented for the custodial and landscape functions within Facilities Services. Reviews proposed construction projects and related installations for compliance with campus landscaping design standards and requirements. Administers work with outside contractors. Assures completion of projects in a timely, efficient, economical, and consistent manner. Coordinates with other trades in Facilities Services on projects relating to landscaping. Coordinates Facility Services' involvement with events such as Presidential Events, Athletic Events, and Commencement. Evaluates supplies and equipment needs and prepares written specifications. Work with customers to determine needs/expectations are being met. Make recommendations for equipment and custodial/grounds purchases, which includes working with vendors, and gathering cost information. Maintains the accounting, storage and condition of equipment and vehicles for their designated areas. Utilizes facilities maintenance software to review work orders and preventative maintenance schedules. Report daily time and attendance to administrative support staff for payroll and tracking. Review department financial reports and assist in the development of department budgets. Exercise proper care and use of a University credit card, research new technology and equipment needs and uses, order supplies and services, track and approve purchases, and approve invoices.
15% - Provides leadership and ongoing effective management which fosters a culture of service excellence to the University community of students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the campus. Sets custodial and landscape maintenance service expectations that recognizes both, current and future needs and challenges, as well as opportunities to improve the quality and responsiveness of service. Facilitates an environment that motivates, empowers, and inspires commitment from employees. Serves as a role model demonstrating the spirit of collaboration, inclusion, respect and collegiality. Creates a team environment where employees are recognized individually and as a team for the accomplishments and success.
15% - Provides effective talent management through a focus upon successful recruitment and retention of quality staff, ongoing coaching and training of staff, and periodic performance evaluation. Demonstrates commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Serves as the hiring manager on recruitment committees in the selection of staff. Identifies and provides required and recommended training for all assigned staff necessary for effective daily operations, safety, and adherence to University and departmental policies and procedures. Assures compliance with applicable collective bargaining contracts. Administers progressive discipline as necessary. Provide and establish required and recommended trainings for all assigned staff in the areas of daily facility operations, safety, and procedures. Reports and reviews employee work injuries. Assures information is reported completely and accurately. Counsels employees as needed in safe work processes and practices. Reports unsafe conditions and takes appropriate steps to correct those conditions.
10% - Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Facilities Services. Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
To Apply, please visit: http://www4.csudh.edu/hr/job-opportunities/
To apply for this posting (Non-CSUDH Employees):
Step 1: Select and read the qualifications for the position you are interested in
Step 2: Click 'Apply Now' at the bottom of the screen
Step 3: Login or Register (Create Username and Password)
Step 4: Select apply with or without resume
Step 5: Provide contact information and answer required questions
Step 6: Click 'Submit'
California State University, Dominguez Hills, is an equal employment opportunity employer, and is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce. The University actively encourages applications of all qualified individuals.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. For more information or definition of these terms please visit, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/Supplement_English.pdf
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources Office at (310) 243-3771 or the Academic Affairs Personnel Services Office at (310) 243-3766.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at http://www.csudh.edu/dhpd/dhpd.htm, or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.