6360 Media Relations Specialist (Public Affairs/Communication Specialist I), Athletics
San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of applications will begin on June 19, 2017. To receive full consideration, apply by June 18, 2017. (The position will remain open until filled). The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible, temporary position anticipated to end on or before June 30, 2018, with the possibility for reappointment. This position is designated non-exempt under FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.
Under direct supervision of the Senior Associate Athletic Director of Communications and Media Relations, the Media Relations Assistant will be the primary contact for a variety of assigned varsity sports. The individual will use pre-established concepts and specifications to develop and manage publicity for various teams, serving as the primary contact for baseball, volleyball and swimming & diving. The incumbent will coordinate and prepare standard and straight-forward editorial for media guides and game programs; coordinate game press operations for assigned sports; prepare weekly news releases; coordinate photographic needs for assigned sports; maintain and update statistical record; and maintain a website for assigned programs with accurate and current information. The incumbent will also assist others in the Media Relations office on a variety of projects.
For more information regarding Athletics and Media Relations, please click here.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $2,923 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $2,923 - $4,740 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXPress, web site maintenance and statistical programs.
- Experience with interview techniques.
- Two years of experience working in a Division I collegiate Athletics media relations office.
- Basic Knowledge of statistical programs.
- Experience handling sports and working in a FBS media relations office.
- Knowledge of various social media platforms.
- Basic knowledge and experience with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Foundation knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Must have basic knowledge of the Athletics program and applicable communications techniques. Must exercise sound judgement and discretion in the completion of assignments and projects.
- Ability to project a professional attitude and appearance. Demonstration of ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and communicate successfully with media, student-athletes, co-workers, administrators, staff, coaches, university personnel and various community constituents.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involve, prioritizing and completing projects accurately and timely, and making reliable decisions under pressure. Ability to apply a high degree of judgement, discretion, and initiative in coordinate activities associated with the Media Relations office.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and travel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling and punctuation. Demonstrated competence in effectively presenting standard information in writing.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-7099.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.