The College of Humanities and Fine Arts at the University of Massachusetts Amherst is seeking an Academic Advisor (AA). The AA provides comprehensive advising for Humanities and Fine Arts students in more than twenty majors, double majors, dual degrees, minors and certificate students, as well as prospective majors to the College. Works closely with other advising personnel to ensure high quality academic advising for all students, with particular responsibility for data and assessment extraction from the Education Advisory Board/Student Success Collaborative (EAB/SSC) platform. Teaches a one- or two-credit seminar for incoming Exploratory Track students. Uses computer-based registration and academic records technology, such as SPIRE, Moodle, and others. Responsive to the needs of a large number of highly diverse students and a fast-paced work environment.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, business, psychology, student personnel, higher education administration or related field;
- 3 years experience in academic advising or other relevant experience;
- Ability and/or knowledge of data extraction for program assessment to be shared with the unit and Provost's Office, Vice Provost/Dean for undergraduate education. Experience and ability working with on-line computer-based advising technologies;
- Experience with and willingness to support the needs of a large, culturally diverse undergraduate population; ability to work harmoniously with supervisors, colleagues and students;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, intermediate level computer proficiency, and skill in small group presentations (University-level teaching experience helpful); strong interpersonal skills, awareness of confidentiality issues, ability to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively with various university personnel; solid organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage a high volume of complex and varied academic information;
- Ability to work independently; and availability for evening and weekend academic programming as needed.
- Master's degree in counseling, business, psychology, student personnel, higher education administration or related field;
- Teaching & advising experience in higher education.
Hiring salary range: $41,900 - $52,500
Normal starting range: $41,900 - $47,200
Professional Staff Salary Administrative Program Position Level 26
On-campus applicants are defined as Amherst campus, non-student employees.
To apply provide a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references to:
Priority Deadline is June 28, 2017. Search will remain open until the position is filled.
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University's goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual's record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.