Fashion Institute of Technology - Part Time Library Aide
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a part time Library Aide.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Responsible for providing general and specialized circulation and interlibrary loan assistance and services to the FIT/SUNY community in a courteous and efficient manner and in accordance with the Library's policies and procedures in support of the unit's mission and daily operations.
- Answer patron queries in person or on the phone, regarding library resources, services and campus information
- Page materials requested by library patrons and communicate access policies
- Assist patrons with the use of print and online catalogs
- Request technology assistants to support patrons upon request
- Respond to queries regarding photocopiers, scanners, microfilm readers
Collections / Access
- Process incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests, generate requests using the ILLiad Interlibrary Loan system; maintain ILL records including, but not limited to invoices and correspondences with libraries and patrons
- Compile, edit, and manage metadata and scanning for the Library's Designer Files Collection
- General ALEPH (the Library's integrated library system) maintenance, including, but not limited to linking, editing, or creating items in ALEPH. May also include troubleshooting ALEPH technical questions
- Maintain organization in reading rooms by shelving materials, shelf reading and inventory
- Work alongside with student workers, provide guidance in workflows and instruct them on unit processes
- Add, create, weed images from the Library's Picture File resources
- Responsible for opening or securing the closing of the Library as scheduled
- Perform duties such as filing, answering telephone and email inquiries, photocopying, scanning, and data entry
- Compile statistics, maintain records on library integrated online software, process materials daily
- Maintain collection of Library handouts by service desk
Cross Unit Responsibilities
Work in various capacities outside of home unit to accomplish library wide initiatives. Such as but not limited to:
- Work at any Library service desk to fill coverage gaps
- Assist with metadata description and processing as needed
- Support marketing and promotion activities
Special projects as assigned
Associate's degree and one year of related experience year in an academic library or environment. Work experience must include not less than one year in a fast paced, customer-oriented service work environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Fundamental knowledge of the operation of an integrated library management system, with ALEPH experience desirable. Experience using technology applications such as ILLiad and Odyssey, Banner, or similar systems highly preferred. Knowledge of computer graphics programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator a plus. Ability to work quickly and accurately with detailed data. Ability to keyboard at least 25 wpm and proficiency in utilizing word processing and database software, preferably Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel. Ability to trouble-shoot basic computer problems.
Must possess the ability to work with a diverse community, while exercising good judgment and common sense. Excellent customer service skills, including professional and courteous telephone communication and electronic mail correspondence. Must possess excellent conflict resolution skills, strong communication skills, tact, resourcefulness and the ability to identify and solve problems. Proven ability to work independently and effectively in a collegial manner in a changing environment.
Work is performed under typical library conditions with requirements for frequent sitting and standing for long periods of time, as well as frequent lifting
Current Salary Schedule: 88
Schedule: Wednesday - Thursday: 9am - 3pm; Friday: 12:45pm - 7:45pm; Saturday 10am - 5pm Schedule may change based on the needs of the department
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
* A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.