Staff Assistant to the Provost
The Provost’s Office at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for Staff Assistant to the Provost.
Posting Date: June 7, 2017
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. For more information on benefits for full-time United University Professions (UUP) professional staff, visit:
Date of Appointment: On/around July 1, 2017
Description of Responsibilities: The Staff Assistant to the Provost reports to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs and supports the administrative activities of the Academic Affairs Division, works with sensitive and confidential information, frequently under time deadlines, and exercises independent judgment and discretion. This position collaborates with staff in the Provost’s Office and works closely with Academic Deans and Directors and with the President’s Office as well as the Office of Administration and Finance and Human Resources.
Responsibilities also include:
- Oversee the Academic Affairs budget including account reconciliation; advise the Provost on balances and issues; manage the flow of funds in and through the Provost’s Office to ensure that the Office operates within budget and achieves objectives. Monitor the temporary service accounts and the Divisions IFR and SUTRA accounts. At the direction of the Provost, initiate and process the transfer of funds among various accounts in the Academic Division to maintain balances and achieve goals.
- Assist with the annual budget preparation planning/projections and maintain knowledge of the financial account structure.
- Generate financial spreadsheets and reports as requested.
- Oversee the Academic Equipment and Replacement (AER) budget, working with Deans to address concerns in the schools and colleges. Assist in procurement of equipment and other technology funded through AER.
- Manage the Academic Division Calendar including the Provost’s Calendar; monitor office and institutional deadlines to ensure timely actions on budgets, personnel, and programs.
- Monitor workflow in the office; maintain office files; maintain office inventory; monitor and arrange the Provost’s travel schedule and travel; oversees Provost Office event planning including catering.
- Maintain the Provost’s website to ensure currency and accuracy; liaises with Deans and Directors and with Marketing and Communication to assist in maintenance of Academic Division websites.
- Represent the Provost’s Office on appropriate committees as assigned by Provost.
- Hire and supervise student staff as needed.
- Plan and coordinate various events.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by the Provost.
In addition, will be expected to display a commitment to undergraduate and/or graduate education, and possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field
- At least three years of experience in a business office or related area
- Proficiency with standard office software including MS Windows, MS Excel, and MS Power Point
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to be flexible and to meet changing needs and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited direction and with sensitive and confidential information
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated experience with SUNY Business Information, Banner, and Google Docs
To Apply: Submit a letter of application addressing qualifications, a copy of unofficial transcripts, resume, and contact information for three professional references to:
If you have any questions about the position, please call or e-mail: Rameen Mohammadi, Search Committee Chair, 315-312-2232, email@example.com
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring. Files must be complete to be considered. Visa sponsorship not available for this position.
Visa sponsorship not available for this position.
Description of Department: The Office of the Provost is in charge of the Division of Academic Affairs and oversees all the instructional and academic programs of the college. This includes the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Education and School of Communication, Media and the Arts, as well as the Divisions of Extended Learning and Graduate Studies. Also under the office’s purview are facilities such as Penfield Library and the Metro Center, and administrative offices such as the Registrar’s Office, the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment, the Office of International Education and Programs, and the Office of Sustainability.
Description of SUNY Oswego: Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of "Top Up-and-Coming Schools" in U.S. News “America’s Best Colleges” in 2010, a Kiplinger's “Best College Value” for 2015, and a "Best Northeastern College" by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College’s success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty-mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world. SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities.
Additional information about SUNY Oswego can be found at www.oswego.edu.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please see our full non-discrimination policy, https://www.oswego.edu/title-ix/non-discrimination-policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Campus Safety information, please see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery) on the Human Resources Website: https://www.oswego.edu/human-resources/annual-security-and-fire-report
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.