P/T Language Lab Tutor/Lab Assistant - Chinatown Site
Category: Part Time Non-Benefit Positions
Department: Academic Support & College Pathways Program
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jun 06, '17
Type: PT No Benefits
Ref No.: Non Benefit
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Recently re-certified as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream, BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. The College offers more than 100 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than 50 percent are women.
We are looking for individuals aligned with our institutional values of access and success, excellence and innovation, economic and social justice, inclusiveness and equity, civic engagement and service, kindness and respect, and accountability and transparency. Individuals with a dedication to a dynamic educational environment, investment in the social and economic well-being of all, and belief in student-centered learning in an engaging, supportive environment are sought to fill the following position.
Living in Boston
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America. Twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offer more than 600,000 residents the opportunity to taste, touch, and experience things from all over the world. Neighbors benefit from exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, and a solid network of parks, community centers, and libraries. For more information about Boston go to: http://www.cityofboston.gov/residents.
- Communicate and coordinate with CBO (Community Based Organization) partners to plan and implement activities in the Chinatown Language Lab.
- Coordinate activities with Charlestown Language Lab coordinator and staff.
- Conduct, or assist faculty and CBO partners with, workshops, orientations, and any other language learning activities for BHCC students and Language Lab users from the community.
- Schedule tutoring appointments, class visits, and other activities in the Language Lab.
- Answer questions about Language Lab programs, websites for language learning, computer use, and software use.
- Explain grammatical, semantic, and pragmatic aspects of the English language to BHCC students in various courses and to other Lab users.
- Read and evaluate student writing and assignments and provide constructive feedback.
- Assist Lab users to improve reading and listening comprehension skills, to improve speaking, and gain academic readiness skills.
- Become familiarized with electronic resources for language learning and recommend these to Lab users.
- Stay current with research and best practices in second language learning, tutoring methodologies, and educational technology.
- Train in TOEFL and IELTS language tests and tutor TOEFL and IELTS test preparation as needed.
- Assist with other Lab duties as needed.
- Work in Charlestown Language Lab as needed.
- Native or near native English fluency.
- Fluency in Mandarin and/or Cantonese
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and ability to quickly learn new software programs or online systems used in the Language Lab.
- ESL/EFL teaching/tutoring experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Master's Degree.
- Experience working with technology in an educational or community-based organization.
- Knowledge of TOEFL and/or IELTS language tests.
Salary: $ 26.40/hr.
18 hrs/week. Schedule may vary.
Submit cover letter addressing the requirements and resume of support for the position.
This is a non-benefited position.
This position is open until filled.