Tutor (College Assistant) - Center for Math and Technology
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Center for Math and Technology (CMAT) at Kingsborough Community College is building an applicant pool for existing and anticipated openings during the academic year. All positions are subject to budget ability.
The Center for Math and Technology (CMAT) at Kingsborough Community College has day and evening openings for qualified, part-time Math and Computer Science tutors. Tutors will assist students in one-on-one and/or in small group settings. May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
Math tutors must be able to tutor all level of Mathematics from basis arithmetic to linear algebra and differential equations.
Computer Science tutors must be able to tutor C++, Java, Raptor, Assembler and Discrete Mathematics.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Inter-personal qualities conducive to one-on-one and small group tutoring.
- At least 64 college credits, Associate's or Bachelor's degree highly desirable in all related vacant areas.
- Math tutors must have completed a minimum of two semesters of college calculus with a grade of B or better. Bachelor's degree in Mathematics is preferred.
- Computer Science tutors must have a grade of B or better in all math and computer science courses and must be able to tutor C++, Java, Raptor, Assembler and Discrete Mathematics.
B.A Degree: $12.18/hr
Master's Degree: $13.40/hr
Ph.D. Degree: $14.93/hr
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 16917 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
On-going recruitment. Closes June 2, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Job Title: Tutor (College Assistant) - Center for Math and Technology
Job ID: 16917