Assistant Director - STEM Initiatives
The College of Staten Island (CSI) is a City University of New York (CUNY) senior College organized around two academic divisions and three schools, with over 14,000 students. CSI offers a broad range of academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and in several professional areas. The College awards associate's, bachelor's, master's and clinical doctoral degrees, and in collaboration with The CUNY Graduate Center, numerous Ph.D. degrees. CSI's internationally recognized faculty passionately engage in scholarly and artistic activities, and together with a strong professional staff, lead students through transformational learning experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The College is situated on a 204-acre site, has recently incorporated a residential component, and is currently engaging in capital expansion. It is a hub of intellectual and artistic activity and a community partner and source of economic impact and job creation for the greater Staten Island area.
The College's faculty, administration, and staff are committed to educational excellence as they instill in students an enduring love of learning and respect for pluralism and diversity. The College community recognizes its responsibility to strive for the common good, including an informed appreciation for the interdependence of all people, as well as providing students with the opportunities for successful future careers.
The Assistant Director of STEM Initiatives administers the activities of a learning resource center, which includes:
- Supports the design and delivery of academic resources such as remedial and/or other targeted student support services in STEM
- Assists the Associate Director in recruiting qualified STEM tutors for the Center for Academic Student Assistance (CASA) for STEM support
- Coordinates academic support through online tutoring in the STEM disciplines
- Serves as the STEM specialist and assists the Associate Director in the development of the immersion mathematics syllabi and special STEM initiatives.
- Produces and facilitates training in the use of various technologies in delivering STEM instruction with a concentration in developmental math
- Trains faculty to work in a hybrid environment to deliver remedial math instruction
- Arranges technical support for STEM initiatives; manages space, scheduling and inventory to ensure smooth operations
- Collaborates with various College offices to improve student and faculty services; works with Director or Manager to plan and implement staff development activities
- Serves as resource expert for students and faculty regarding available STEM academic support initiatives, CASA center policies and procedures
- Coordinates the delivery of special STEM workshops as requested by STEM department chairs.
- Works with the Director and Associate Directors to implement new academic support initiatives in STEM, as needed.
- Delivers effective instruction in all areas of mathematics for the immersion programs and special initiatives, as needed
- Provides valuable input on and delivers an effective hybrid online course for the delivery of developmental mathematics instruction
- Supports the design of examinations in the MyMathLab software for use in the hybrid math immersion course
- Supports the design of quizzes and examinations to be used with various forms of innovative technology in the delivery of developmental math instruction
- Assists the Associate Director with the coordination of the Math Immersion Programs, which offers instruction to approximately 1,500 students annually
- Oversees the compliance with all online testing requirements for the Math Immersion Programs bi-annually
- Assists with the design of in-class mathematics examinations and all examination review sheets for the bi-annual Math Immersion Programs and other mathematics initiatives.
- Assists with the curriculum design and delivers mathematics instruction in the CSI Pre-Test Preparation Initiative, which prepares incoming students for the CUNY Assessment Test in Mathematics.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Related experience in the STEM areas and development of mathematics curriculum and examinations, extensive experience in the implementation of various developmental academic support initiatives such as pre-test preparation, hybrid remedial mathematics instruction, online instructional methodologies, and strong background in other STEM related fields. Ability to work effectively with administrative and academic departments across campus, strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently, think creatively, and use sound judgment under pressure. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with extensive knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, MyMathLab, and MyMathTest, Turning Point Software
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers the activities of a learning resource or support center.
- Supports the design and delivery of academic resources such as tutoring, remedial and other student programs and services, delivered in a variety of modes, including on-line
- Produces and administers training programs, lectures, workshops, seminars and special events
- Collaborates with various College offices to improve student and faculty services; implements new services and assures existing services are effectively provided.
- Serves as resource expert for students and faculty regarding center policies and procedures, and if needed, technology issues related to their learning experience
- May assist and/or supervise office operations and/or department budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Resource Center Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit http://cuny.jobs/ and enter the Job ID# in the "What" section field. Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information) as one file.
July 6, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: College of Staten Island
Job Title: Assistant Director - STEM Initiatives
Job ID: 16794
Full/Part Time: Full-Time