STRATEGIC BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE, DCRI
STRATEGIC BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE, DCRI
DCRI - Strategic Business Development
The Business Development Account Director (AD) will work closely with their Faculty Therapeutic Area (TA) Leader and Business Development (BD) Director to help achieve the overall sales goals of the organization and to lead development of sales strategies for assigned TA and Key Accounts (KAs). In this role, the AD will proactively lead and assist the DCRI faculty in identifying and securing new project opportunities for their particular therapeutic area. In addition they will also foster new business through their KA assignments. This individual will promote the capabilities of the DCRI to current and prospective sponsors, lead efforts and develop plans to deal with complex sales opportunities and negotiations, and contribute to efforts to maintain lasting partnerships with industry and government sponsors. The AD will be the main business development representative for their specific TA and/or key account, and will serve as an internal expert resource regarding business development activities. The AD will devote 100% of their efforts to relationship building and account management activities.
- Therapeutic Area Account Management Develop and maintain relationships with assigned faculty in order to understand their research interests.
- Take a lead and proactive role in coordinating and cultivating industry relationships in order to appropriately match faculty interests with company pipelines and meet annual revenue targets for a TA.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Clinical Operations Associate Directors and Assistant Directors, keeping them apprised of upcoming business opportunities.
- Develop and updated annually a TA Plan that 1) articulates goals, 2) analyzes the landscape, 3) provides a financial outlines, and 4) outlines strategy and tactics: In conjunction with TA faculty, prepare for and lead TA Management Meetings that inform the organization of TA plans to bring in new business, maintain a balanced portfolio, and meet annual goals and objectives including revenue targets.
- Provide direction and participate in the development of new brochures and other informational materials including slide sets to support DCRI marketing and promotional activities for their TA.
- Lead and coordinate the development of annual financial targets of new project awards for your TA.
- Identify, pre-qualify, and pursue specific business development opportunities within the assigned TAs, working closely with the TA Leader to achieve the annual targets as assigned.
- Interact with key DCRI personnel including PLs and TA Faculty to assist with increasing client satisfaction around communication of scope changes and identification and communication of performance metrics.
- Key Account Management Develop a Key Account Plan for assigned accounts that• Incorporates key contacts within the sponsor, including their role, history with the company and DCRI, and their ability to influence (either positively or negatively)• Develops a detailed pipeline analysis for each sponsor, including projects by phase of development and TA• Outlines the synergies between sponsor pipelines, current faculty interest, and existing DCRI relationships and projects. Based on the synergies and areas of interest to Faculty, develop business development strategies to expand the core business for the account into new TA's.
- Develop list of key faculty and staff within the DCRI who have relationships the sponsor. If agreeable with faculty and staff, request introductions to sponsor's key decision makers for the purpose of cross-selling other DCRI TAs/services.
- Document the DCRI's history with the sponsor, including a list of past and ongoing studies, past meetings held, metrics related to studies (if available) and discussion between DCRI and the sponsor.
- Develop a strategy for building relationships within the outsourcing/procurement group within the sponsor and routinely report to the Director of Business Development on the progress of these relationships.
- Gain an understanding of the sponsor's preferred partnership/ strategic alliance model.
- Assess the potential for DCRI to enter into a preferred strategic partnership/alliance.
- Understand DCRI's experience with the key accounts; speak fluently on our performance and ability.
- Stay involved in sponsor current projects with DCRI.
- Understand project successes & failures, serve as the sponsor's BD advocate/non-operational point person, and help resolve problems on behalf of the sponsor.
- Keep in routine contact with sponsor, assess customer satisfaction, address concern, strategize on future opportunities, and tout successes. General Business Development Participate in - and where appropriate, lead - the proposal development process through communication of sales strategies for each opportunity, provision of an executive summary for each opportunity, and input into pricing strategies based on customer information.
- Track all opportunities in the appropriate DCRI systems and evaluate all opportunities to enhance the ability of DCRI to increase their proposal hit rate.
- Lead and coordinate exhibits at conferences and trade shows on behalf of the DCRI.
- Increase DCRI's presence at international scientific and industry meetings through appropriate identification of faculty speaking opportunities and recommendations of relevant industry meetings as identified in the therapeutic business plan.
- Develop, implement, and refine standard procedures for researching, collecting, and tracking information about clients including contact data, pipelines, and previous outsourcing experiences.
- Develop, implement and refine strategies to cultivate relationships with the outsourcing representatives of client companies and pursue opportunities for the DCRI to be designated as along-term partner.
- Prepare and coordinate client meetings, including the maintenance of an accurate, up-to-date, and complete list of upcoming client meetings; development of clear meeting objectives and strategies; identification of attendees; preparation of agendas; and logistical arrangements.
- Keep DCRI Faculty and staff abreast of emerging trends in the outsourcing of clinical research services and identify needs for the development of new services and capabilities.
- Maintain relationships and facilitate frequent discussions with other academic organizations.
- Work independently and proactively to engage clients/customers in high level discussions, as well as the ability to negotiate at a high level.
2266 STRATEGIC THER BUS DEV RP, DCRI
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Bachelor's Degree in business, science or other related discipline preferred.
Seven years of experience in clinical research, including a minimum of five years experience in business development at a Contract Research Organization (CRO), Academic Research Organization (ARO), or other comparable organization.
Phase I clinical trials experience highly preferred
Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Leadership skills including ability to function effectively in a matrix organization.
Excellent organizational, planning, prioritization, facilitation, negotiation, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Willingness to travel
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.