Director for State Government Relations
Director for State Government Relations
Position Number: 53071867
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Gainesville
Job Close Date: 06/20/2017
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Director for State Government Relations.The Director for State Government Relations is responsible for directing the University of North Georgia's government affairs strategy and annual plans. The individual in this position develops and implements a long-term approach for an effective, strategic partnership with state and local officials and agencies. The position will report to the Chief of Staff and will assist with the day-to-day operations of the division.The Director for State Government Relations is responsible for providing support and counsel to UNG in partnering with government leaders on UNG plans, programs and services. The Director also develops and provides communications support on public policy matters for UNG, including letters, position papers and fact sheets. The Director will also coordinate with and provide support to University System of Georgia personnel as needed regarding legislative affairs.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Director will:
- Serve as liaison on behalf of the University of North Georgia to the executive and legislative branches of state government;
- Develop and implement action plans that require governmental, legislative and community support to advance the institution's priorities;
- Track key pieces of legislation and policy issues that impact higher education;
- Engage elected officials, government agencies and community stakeholders in activities and issues important to the University;
- Maintain communication with and provide updates to stakeholders at the University of North Georgia during the legislative process;
- Create strategic partnerships to communicate issue advocacy on behalf of the University of North Georgia;
- Identify and cultivate appropriate state and municipal partnerships and funding opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Expertise in the legislative process and strong analytical skills
- Outstanding written, interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the Georgia legislative process
- Ability to identify trends in government relations and communicate these to the UNG leadership team
- Ability and willingness to understand the unique culture of public higher education
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Political Science, Communications, Public Relations, or other relevant major required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience working in the government arena, as an advocate, working for an official, or other comparable experience
- Experience in higher education preferred
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: The successful candidate must be able to pass a background check which will include a credit check. Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.