Position Number: 53063400 ; 53068223
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 06/20/2017
Salary Minimum: $36,500
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is accepting applications for an Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor, Dahlonega, works with a diverse student population, primarily pre-nursing students, individually and in groups to develop educational plans and academic, personal, and career goals. The advisor may also work with other student populations. The Academic Advisor aids in core curriculum course selection, provides information regarding major requirements appropriate for the discipline, and educates students regarding University academic policies, procedures, and campus resources. The advisor uses predictive analytic software to provide targeted advising and support for students who are underachieving academically and assesses academic progress. The advisor serves as liaison to the nursing department, including coordinating initiatives and developing tools that support academic advising and student success. The advisor also develops and delivers student workshops and assists with advising at new student and transfer orientations.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: This Academic Advisor will:
- Assist a diverse student population, primarily pre-nursing majors, in developing educational plans, academic, personal and career goals, including core curriculum and major requirements
- Use predictive analytic software for targeted advising and student tracking
- Serve as liaison to the nursing department, including coordinating initiatives that support academic advising and student success
- Develop and deliver student workshops
- Support advising at new student and transfer orientations
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office required
- BANNER experience preferred
- Must have a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain exemplary working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present in front of large groups
- Must demonstrate a strong background as a team player
- Must demonstrate the ability to work under minimal supervision to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and prioritize duties
- Must demonstrate a strong background in working with diversity
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred;
- One (1) year experience in professional advising or closely related field
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.