Teaching Assistant (Multiple Positions)
Posting Date June 6, 2017
Position Title Teaching Assistant (Multiple Positions)
Vacancy # VC-375
Department Ben Samuels Children's Center
Division Academic Affairs
Building on a distinguished history dating back to 1908, Montclair State University is a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. Designated a Research Doctoral University by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, the University's nine colleges and schools serve more than 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students with over 300 doctoral, master's and baccalaureate level programs. Situated on a beautiful, 252-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State delivers the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a supportive, sophisticated and diverse academic environment. Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at montclair.edu.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: Under the supervision of the Children's Center Director and Associate Director and the Teaching Assistant will be a member of the teaching team and will share in the development and implementation of a developmentally appropriate educational program promoting social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth and development of the children served with the lead teacher.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Function as a member of a trans-disciplinary teaching team; share ideas and information with colleagues; participate in the University community of learners;
• Contribute to the planning, organization and implementation of lesson plans that stimulate children's growth and development; assist in the provision of opportunities for children to experience, play and learn in a warm, safe, nurturing environment;
• Contribute to the creation of a community in the classroom that is nurturing, caring, safe and conducive to learning for all members;
• Assist in the provision of physical care for children: helps to prepare meals; helps to feed children; helps in washing hands and faces; changes diapers; assists in toileting; assists in teaching self-help skills;
• May be required to engage in lifting children who are non-ambulant, semi-ambulant and/or have physical needs;
• Assist in maintaining classroom and playgrounds in a neat, clean, safe, attractive manner; examine environment for any potential hazards; maintain proper condition of materials and equipment in classroom; maintain inventories of materials and complete materials requests;
• Advise, instruct, supervise and mentor student staff and volunteers assigned to the room; model appropriate professional behavior;
• Contribute to the maintenance of charts, checklists, anecdotal records on children which will be used in the development of plans to meet the children's individual and collective needs;
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with families; maintain open, positive, respectful lines of communication with families about their children and the Center;
• Attend meetings, workshops or courses to maintain compliance with NJ in-service requirement;
• Identify for the teacher any child whose behavior and physical condition appears to differ from the norms;
• Report any instances of suspected child abuse to DYFS, classroom Teacher and Center Director;
• Maintain valid Infant/Child CPR and First Aid Certification;
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• A minimum of a Child Development Associate Degree (CDA) or equivalent is required.
• Successful work history in a child care setting as a teacher assistant or aide for at least three years is required. Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Salary Range A11: $33,170.29 -$46,290.84
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $37,543.80.
Anticipated Start Date July 1, 2017
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single PDF or Word document via the apply link.* Apply here
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION