Director of News and Media Relations
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director of University Relations & Marketing (URM), the Director of News and Media Relations is responsible for effectively communicating with national and international media outlets to enhance the University’s brand and reputation. The Director will lead in planning and executing a strategic media plan, employed across multiple communication platforms, to reach local, regional, national and international markets. The Director will head a team of professionals to achieve the University's strategic priorities and objectives, through the delivery of impactful messaging.
Specifically, the Director of News and Media Relations will serve in the following ways:
- Develop and direct a comprehensive media relations program designed to enhance the University's reputation and support the institution’s overall strategic goals, creating specific media plans in target geographic markets. Oversee the monitoring of media analytics, to track coverage and measure effectiveness of media strategies.
- Cultivate strong relationships with and successfully pitch to members of the media; develop strategies to promote academic quality, value, and distinctive "points of pride." Leverage positive news about Stockton University and design strategies to possibly extend the life of positive news coverage (public appearances, speaking engagements, social media, etc.).
- Assist President and university administrators with media relations. Provide counsel and recommendations on interview opportunities; furnish talking points and strategies for breaking news; and facilitate placement of articles and essays.
- Build a network of faculty experts to serve as resources for media. Link faculty experts to current news items and inquiries, coach and advise on public appearances and statements.
- Serve as member of the Crisis Communication team, assisting with the management of crisis communication, and developing strategies and messaging to best communicate with the media, Stockton community, and external stakeholders.
- Mine for stories across the University to write pitches to the media, press releases, features, fact sheets, articles and website/social media content.
- Manage News and Media Relations staff and work closely with the University Relations and Marketing team, to maximize the coordinated efforts and effectiveness of unit goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate, through past accomplishments and actions, the ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills are essential.
- Extensive communications experience required
- Exceptional writing and editing skills required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of seven years of full time, professional experience in progressively responsible positions, in communications, media relations, journalism or related fields.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Higher education experience preferred.
- Direct work with journalists is highly desirable.
- Experience in community affairs, with respect to stakeholder engagement a plus.
- Working knowledge of the software packages used for developing communications deliverables preferred.
- Demonstrated skill at managing multiple complex projects simultaneously preferred.
- Strong speaking and presentations skills preferred.
- Ability to respond quickly and professionally to unforeseen crisis and issues, maintaining high journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using; Word, PDF or Videos either as one single file or as individual attachments.
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A current resume
- A list of 3 references (included in the application): Name, Company, Email address and Phone
- Samples of work which demonstrate skills related to the position
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.