Working Title: Lab Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 06-05-2017
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Virginia is seeking a Histology Lab Specialist. The position provides specialized research support for the Child Health research Center. The role of this position is to independently perform histological and imaging procedures and to evaluate and interpret results to aid in research projects of laboratory investigators.
Responsibilities include tissue sample preparation, tissue stain experiments, imaging analysis, specimen analysis and laboratory equipment management. Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor's degree (Biology, Biochemistry or related science). A minimum of 3 years of laboratory experience, including preparation of tissue specimens, staining and interpretation of results is required. This may include experience gained while a student.
In addition, candidates must be able to resolve problems; work accurately with attention to detail; analyze and organize work procedures; work with small animals in experiments; plan and independently conduct laboratory experiments; modify and develop lab procedures; and accurately interpret, report and present findings.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
4. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
5. Ability to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication in daily interactions.
6. Ability to work with small animals (mice) in experiments.
7. Ability to plan and independently conduct laboratory experiments.
8. Ability to modify and develop lab procedures.
9. Ability to accurately interpret, report and present findings.
10. Skilled in preparation of tissue specimens, staining and interpretation of results.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82028