CIRES/Research Associate Scientific Analyst
The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at Colorado State University, and the Cooperative Institute for Research in the Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado seek to fill a professional scientific position designed to conduct collaborative research with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) located at the Earth System Research Lab (ESRL), Global Systems Division (GSD) in Boulder, CO.
Background: The Forecast Impact and Quality Assessment Section (FIQAS) within the Evaluation and Decision Support Branch of GSD is seeking an experienced scientific analyst with meteorological and quantitative skills to support the evaluation of aviation forecasts, develop impact-based verification metrics and assessment approaches, interface with current and potential sponsors, and work with aviation operational specialists to develop foundational concepts for building new aviation decision support tools.
Review of applications will begin June 23, 2017. This will remain open until filled.
The individual in this position will have the following responsibilities:
Collaborative Research 60%
- Research, develop, and implement scientific concepts to support comprehensive forecast assessments using operationally-relevant verification techniques. Techniques involve incorporating a specific operational context, using both weather and operational aviation information, and combining and comparing data products of differing characteristics and formats..
- Research new observation sets and develop verification techniques to utilize them in product evaluations.
- Interface with users, including weather forecasters and aviation decision makers, to learn how weather information is used to make aviation decisions.
- Work within an evaluation team throughout a product evaluation project to achieve project milestones within time and budget constraints.
- Coordinate with product developers and stakeholders throughout product evaluation to ensure thorough understanding of product characteristics and adherence to evaluation requirements.
- Perform extensive analysis of assessment results and summarize findings and conclusions in formal written reports and oral presentations to product developers and stakeholders.
- Present research status and findings to sponsors and peer organizations, and participate in workshops and conferences.
Technical Implementation 40%
- Perform technical implementation of new, operationally-relevant verification techniques using scripting languages such as python, for use in quality assessments and possibly decision support tools.
- Manage datasets and processing necessary to support research and development and product evaluation activities.
- Work with engineers as needed to incorporate concepts and code into automated verification and decision support tools.
• Advanced degree (minimum M.S.) in Mathematics, Physical Science, or related field
• Minimum 5 years relevant work experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of meteorological phenomena relevant to aviation operations
• Demonstrated skill in data analysis and use and interpretation of statistical information, and producing reports of results, both in written and presentation form
• Demonstrated experience performing analysis with languages or packages such as python, R, or Matlab
• Proficiency in application development in the Linux environment
• Demonstrated skill in development and implementation of operationally-relevant verification techniques for weather products
• Proficiency with meteorological data such as satellite, radar, and model data, and formats such as grib and netCDF
• Knowledge of aviation operations and decision-making processes
• Experience working with air traffic management data
• Experience with open source RDBMS such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
• Experience interfacing with stakeholders regarding project requirements and reporting on project results
• Adept at time management and working on multiple projects concurrently
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -One letter of recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Jun 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Karen Dempsey
Posting Contact Email: Karen.email@example.com
Position Number: 00605452