Under the general direction of the Director of Facilities Management, the Facilities Engineer position is responsible for the efficient and effective 24/7 management, operation and maintenance of the mechanical/electrical/plumbing (MEP) and heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for the college sites. This position will provide college wide engineering support and supervision for the operation and maintenance of the college mechanical and electrical systems including:
- steam distribution system
- plumbing systems
- fire protection systems
- instrumentation and controls
- compressed air and lab vacuum systems
- domestic water systems
- electrical distribution systems
- emergency generators
- telecommunications, and
- fire alarm systems.
The incumbent will be responsible for the operation of the building direct digital and pneumatic control systems (currently Trane, American Auto-Matrix, Siemen (fire alarm) and WattStopper) for all college buildings, and this position also supervises all facilities management employees who are directly involved in the maintenance of the building MEP/HVAC and controls systems.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Prioritize schedule, direct and participate in the operation, repair and maintenance of College facilities sites MEP/HVAC and related infrastructures.
- Plan and recommend equipment, materials and manpower to perform various facilities operations tasks.
- Assure the utilization of appropriate safety equipment and procedures for staff and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of equipment and building infrastructures.
- Control and ensure consistent and proper use of the building automation system.
- Oversee and participate in repair, preventative and predictive maintenance and installation of MEP/HVAC systems.
- Schedule outside contractors and work with outside vendors.
- Read and interpret technical repair manuals, blueprints, wiring diagrams, operations manuals, etc.
- Assist with the development of facilities and equipment preventative and predictive maintenance plans and strategies.
- Support procurement processes and enter requisitions.
- Maintain building records, drawings and archival systems.
- Source and obtain pricing for materials, parts and services.
- Assist with managing spare parts inventories.
- Plan and schedule work assignments to make the most efficient and effective use of available personnel, materials, tools and equipment.
- Assure team members are properly trained and motivated and have the necessary skills to perform their daily tasks.
- Ensure College policies and procedures are being followed by Team members.
- Perform administrative duties which include development of workforce schedules, scheduling vacation and time off and daily time card reporting.
- Perform staff reviews and recommend personnel development plans.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives. Assure high levels of customer satisfaction with services provided.
- Ensure safe work practices are being performed by team members and that tools and equipment are in safe working order.
- Identify conditions which have the potential to become unsafe and take necessary action to correct them.
- Prepare and maintain records and basic reports.
- Support on call and off hours emergencies.
- Support snow removal activities as required.
- Promote and support College events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or directly related field.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a fireman and stationary engineer license within 2 years of employment.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a certificate in air condition and refrigeration service within 3 years of employment.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain an asbestos contractor/supervisor license within 2 years of employment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to meet the criteria to drive a College vehicle.
- Five years of experience working with MEP/HVAC, commercial building maintenance, and/or MEP/HVAC systems in existing and/or new construction.
- Substantial progressive experience in the mechanical design and/or facilities engineering profession.
- Experience in coaching and directing a diverse work team.
- Must have an understanding of the design and construction process.
- Must be able to read blueprints and understand and interpret technical manuals.
- Working knowledge of direct digital control systems related to building mechanical and electrical systems.
- Previous experience planning and scheduling the repair and maintenance of facilities infrastructures and equipment.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently perform required computerized tasks to include any combination of word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, internet, or web-based applications as required by the College’s minimum technology skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to solve needs with creative solutions.
- Must have excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills along with the ability to act with a sense of urgency.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and the ability to maintain a positive interaction with internal and external customers.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES CONSIDERED:
- Master’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or directly related field.
- Licensed Professional Engineer registered in the State of Michigan.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Possess a fireman and stationary engineer license.
- Possess a certificate in air condition and refrigeration service.
- Possess an asbestos contractor/supervisor license.
Complete an on-line application and attach a cover letter with position title, resume, three current names of professional references, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire) and professional certifications or licenses.