John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelor's and master's degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theater, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot court, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many ongoing developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer at John Jay College, the Senior Writer-Editor's responsibilities, in addition to the duties within CUNY Title Overview, include but are not limited to:
- Serve as Senior Editor for Justice Matters, the College's flagship semi-annual magazine.
- Manage editorial content for publications and marketing materials, including e-newsletters (John Jay News, Alumni News, Noteworthy), website newsroom, annual reports, recruitment and fundraising materials.
- Develop messaging to enhance the College brand and to support recruitment and development efforts.
- Supervise a staff Writer and edit copy for publications.
- Oversee external and internal creative resources, including freelance writers and student interns.
- Advise on, writes and edits sensitive, high priority communications for the President and senior administrators as needed.
- Develop editorial standards and strategies; monitor and maintain consistent editorial and branding standards and guidelines for College publications.
- Manage production activities, including workflows and deadlines, as well as procurement of editorial services as needed, to ensure quality and timely completion of projects.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required.
- Master's degree in English or related fields is preferred.
- Eight (8) years of related experience is preferred.
- Experience as a magazine editor is preferred.
- Experience in higher education institutions is desirable.
- Excellent research and writing skills are essential. Creative and compelling storytelling skills are also critical. Adaptive writing skills for various print and digital media platforms are also necessary.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills. Must have ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet all deadlines.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office is essential.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Oversees implementation of communications programs and produces communications in all media to meet a variety of College needs
- Provides creative direction for publications and marketing materials, such as catalogs, annual reports, brochures, direct mail packages, print advertising and other marketing materials
- Works with College clientele (faculty, administrators, and student representatives) to understand their communications objectives, select appropriate messages, formats, and distribution methods, set production timelines, and establish appropriate editorial and design approaches
- Provides creative direction and supervision to external and/or internal creative resources such as writers, photographers, illustrators and graphic designers
- Ensures consistent application of standards and guidelines for College materials, such as graphic identity standards
- Manages production activities, including creating printing specifications and arranging procurement of services, managing work flows, and production schedules, and assuring a quality finished product
- Prepares sensitive and high-priority communications such as speeches for use by senior management
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$81,855 - $87,495.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on John Jay College website or in CUNYfirst, please select the "Apply Now" button. If you are viewing the job posting on any other website, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listing"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number "16899"
- Click on the "Apply Now" and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
Review of resumes to begin on June 15, 2017.
Posting closes on July 5, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Senior Editor-Writer
Job ID: 16899