John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelor's and master's degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theater, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot court, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many ongoing developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
Reporting to the Senior Writer-Editor, the Communications Writer's responsibilities, in addition to the duties within CUNY Title Overview, include but are not limited to:
- Write student, faculty and alumni profiles for various digital and print publications and communications.
- Conduct interviews with campus and external individuals.
- Write and edit stories and articles of varying lengths for diverse media platforms.
- Support development and recruitment efforts with marketing copy for brochures, direct mail, and other materials.
- Propose and develop digital outreach for showcasing College community voices, including blogs, podcasts, etc.
- Meet all copy and project deadlines in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Maintain and monitor the College's editorial style guidelines.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Excellent research and writing skills are essential. Creative and compelling storytelling skills are also critical. Adaptive writing skills for various print and digital media platforms are also necessary.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills. Must have ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet all deadlines.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, web tools and apps such as WordPress, podcasting, etc. is essential.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Writes and prepares written material on College issues and event and provides professional support to College communications programs.
- Researches and writes items in a variety of formats for publication in print, web sites, and presentations
- Participates in planning communications projects and contributes to decisions on content and style
- May assume editorial responsibility for communications projects; reviews and edits the work of others
- May coordinate production of written materials
- Adheres to journalistic standards for fact-finding, research, verification, and style
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Communications Publications Writer-Editor
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$47,340 to $51,126.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on John Jay College website or in CUNYfirst, please select the "Apply Now" button. If you are viewing the job posting on any other website, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listing"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number "16901"
- Click on the "Apply Now" and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
June 20, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Communications Writer-Editor
Job ID: 16901