Manager, Unix and Storage System Operations
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Title: Manager, Unix and Storage System Operations
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Infrastructure and Systems Ops
Date Posted: 05/09/2017
Position Information: Reporting to the Associate Director of Systems Engineering, the Manager of Unix and Storage Systems Operations primary functions are to oversee the day to day operations of the Unix/Linux server operating environment. In this capacity, the incumbent provides organizational leadership in implementing, resolving, and handling a full range of production support issues. The manager will also drive the implementation of new versions of operating systems in conjunction with the business and application teams to deliver feature sets that aren't currently available and or are needed to support the user community. The incumbent will stay abreast on the latest server virtualization technologies and hardware high-availability strategies to provide maximum up-time.
Minimum Requirements: Has effective project management skill sets.
In-depth knowledge of how to apply technologies and systems to meet business needs.
Has skills and abilities associated with managing the internal information systems functions, data communications network, and at a campus, medical center or Office of the President.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Advanced knowledge, skills and abilities associated with system problem identification and resolution.
Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing most complex server-based software.
Requires full knowledge of own area of functional responsibility.
Advanced knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems to include but not limited to, Solaris, RHEL, Ubuntu and various others.
In-depth knowledge of NAS storage devices and architecture.
Advanced knowledge of high-availability architecture and design.
Preferred Qualifications: General knowledge of other areas of IT.
Demonstrated skill in managing technical staff.
In-depth knowledge of the Tegile storage platform.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview