Administrative Assistant*, TRIO SSSP/Counseling
Modesto Junior College
Administrative Assistant*, TRIO SSSP/Counseling
Salary: Range 18, $2,747 to $3,509 per month
2015-2016 Classified Salary Schedule
40 hours per week, 12 months per year
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
(May include evenings & weekends)
*This is a categorically funded position. (Continued employment in this position is dependent upon funding).
Complete job description and application available online at: http://yosemite.peopleadmin.com/postings/2773
Under general supervision, performs office administrative support work; prepares a variety of documents using computers and other office equipment; receives and screens visitors and callers; researches, gathers, processes and maintains information; and performs related work as assigned.
This is the journey/full working level clerical class in the Administrative Support Series within the Yosemite Community College District (YCCD). Positions in this class perform the full range of clerical and office support duties related to department administrative functions. Positions at this level may be assigned to various divisions or work units within YCCD.
This class may also be distinguished from the higher-level class of Administrative Technician because incumbents in that class preponderantly perform technical-level duties in support of department administrative functions, applying knowledge and experience in specialized subject areas to make decisions and complete assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents in this class work under general supervision, working alone on routine or regular work assignments and checking with a supervisor on non-routine assignments or when in doubt as to the correct procedures to follow.
An incumbent in this class does not directly lead or supervise other full-time employees, but may assign, direct and/or monitor the work of subordinate full time, part time, and/or student employees on a project or assignment basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• General office practices and procedures.
• Business arithmetic.
• Methods of data collection.
• Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
• The use of standard office equipment, including personal computers.
• Organize and prioritize work activities.
• Enter data into automated systems and prepare data reports.
• Read and understand rules, policies and procedures.
• Make basic arithmetical calculations.
• Use standard word processing, spreadsheets and other software applications.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• One year equivalent to an Administrative Assistant at YCCD.
OR Pattern II
• Experience: One year performing general office clerical work that included some responsibility with computer-assisted data management systems.
Example of Duties
• Performs a wide range of clerical and office support duties that typically require typing, proofreading, filing, checking and recording information.
• Assists office visitors by receiving and providing information relative to a wide range of procedural matters; assists with the completion of forms, including those that may include confidential information; may determine program or service eligibility by comparing information provided with established criteria.
• Posts information to a computerized and/or manual management information storage and retrieval systems; retrieves and compiles information and prepares complex clerical forms, reports and summaries.
• Types and inputs material from oral directions, rough drafts, or handwritten notes, including various records, test materials, teaching materials, reports, memoranda, tables, lists, and a variety of other documents.
• Prepares a variety of materials for duplication and printing.
• Sorts and files documents and materials according to pre-determined classification systems.
• Maintains alphabetical, numerical, index and cross reference files.
• Makes arithmetical calculations and posts to statistical, financial and other numerical records; prepares data reports and tables.
• Reviews and checks routine financial documents for clerical and arithmetical accuracy, completeness and to verify compliance with established procedures.
• Processes outgoing letters, documents and forms.
• Receives, sorts and distributes incoming mail.
• Operates a variety of office machines and equipment, including computers.
• Orders and receives supplies; maintains office inventories.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certificates
• Depending upon assignment, possession of a valid typing certificate for 45 words per minute may be required.
• Depending upon assignment, possession of a valid license to drive in California may be required.
Physical and Mental Standards
• Mobility: ability to sit for long periods, move about an office, stand occasionally, reach above and below desk level.
• Dexterity: fine manipulation sufficient to operate a computer keyboard, handle individual papers, write and take notes.
• Lifting: frequent lifting of papers, files, equipment and material weighing up to 10 pounds.
• Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read files, documents, and computer screens and do close-up work; ability to adjust focus frequently.
• Hearing/Talking: ability to hear normal speech, speak and hear on the telephone, and speak in person.
• Emotional/Psychological Factors: ability to make decisions and concentrate; frequent contact with others including some public contact; frequent deadlines and time-limited assignments.
YCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.