Assistant Director of Annual Fund - Volunteer Management
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Annual Fund – Volunteer Management to work in its Annual Fund Department. Macalester’s Annual Fund represents the cornerstone of the many qualities that define and distinguish the college: rigorous academics, exceptional faculty, a longstanding commitment to equity and access, and a globally conscious education. The Assistant Director – Volunteer Management will recruit, train, and support one of the Annual Fund's largest cohorts of alumni volunteers, with a specific focus on retention and improving volunteer engagement. Likewise, this position will be responsible for donor and dollars benchmarks for those assigned class years. The incumbent will also develop all aspects of the Young Grand Society, a leadership circle for Macalester's young alumni, including strategy, communications, and individual solicitation.
Strong candidates for this position have demonstrated experience with the management of large volunteer groups, project management skills, and a passion for the liberal arts education.
• Recruits and manages Class Agents from assigned class years.
• Serves as an expert in assigned decades and influences messaging and fundraising tactics and strategies to be particularly effective with those decades, ultimately resulting in increased participation and dollars raised overall in each of the class years in those decades.
• Monitors progress and volunteer activity on a weekly basis.
• Explores, develops, and manages any activities and opportunities that steward relationship with volunteers and support class participation.
• Supports milestone-year Reunion committee volunteers in all aspects of their reunion, including programming, communications, and class gift.
• Manages all aspects of the Young Grand Society program, including overarching strategy, development of communications, retention, and acquisitions.
• Contributes to the growth of the Young Grand Society program by identifying and personally soliciting Young Grand Society prospects. Solicitations should also include prospects at the $1600 level in assigned class years.
• Completes a minimum of 4 solicitations each month that focuses on a mix of leadership acquisition and upgrade prospects.
• Builds positive, professional relationships that underscore confidence in Advancement among colleagues, across campus, and with our constituents.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Two or more years of experience in a related field (marketing, retail sales, telephone sales, public relations, volunteer management and/or advertising).
• Annual Fund experience is preferred.
• Experience with volunteer management, one-to-one management, and conflict management.
• Knowledge of effective strategies, with a demonstrated ability to motivate and train
• Strong analytical skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively to large groups and with individuals about Macalester College’s mission, and need for private financial support.
• Proven ability to independently management multiple projects and processes.
• Ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information.
• Occasional to frequent evening and weekend hours are required, depending on the season.
• Willingness and ability to travel and meet individually with volunteers and prospects.
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than June 16, 2017. This posting will close on June 23, 2017.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.