San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1700061
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcripts for Associate OR Bachelor's Degree (Must include award/confer date).
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Student Development & Activities
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$56,355 - $68,790 Annual Salary (Range 96: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 17 paid holidays.
The Outreach/Recruitment Coordinator reports to the Director of Student Development and Activities at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
Under the direction of the assigned administrator, coordinates all college outreach programs to prospective students via school visits, corporate calls, community and educational events; develops strategies and contacts for the promotion of the college; and provides support in pre-counseling and follow-up activities relating to individual students. Responsibilities may include providing training and technical or functional direction to hourly recruiters and student assistants. The position serves as the lead in absence of the assigned administrator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop and maintain a college-wide outreach calendar/plan with input from academic and student services departments and constituent groups. 2. In collaboration with the College administration and Marketing Director, coordinate college-wide outreach services that support the College’s Enrollment Management Plan. 3. Initiate and organize outreach services to local schools, businesses, community or government based organizations, and the adult education community with the aim of promoting and growing credit and non-credit courses to this community. 4. Prepare and conduct program-specific and general college orientation, workshops, college information days, campus tours and visitations. 5. Research and recommend best practices or innovative recruitment opportunities. 6. Analyze data to determine outreach and enrollment trends and outcomes. 7. Plan targeted outreach for specific college programs and services; identify and recruit students who are eligible for those programs and services. 8. Coordinate recruitment, testing, admissions, and counseling to ensure effective intake process for potential and identified students. 9. Advise current and potential students regarding college preparation and entrance requirements. 10. Assist students in making applications; explain policies and eligibility criteria for the college student support programs such as financial aid. 11. Design promotional recruitment materials to be utilized departmentally and college-wide. 12. Create a plan for San Jose City College’s 2021 Scholars initiative with a team and act as a staff lead person for the initiative. 13. Represent the college at community and outside organization functions including career days, special events and conferences. 14. Meet with educational administrators, counselors and teachers to exchange information and answer questions. 15. Prepare and deliver oral presentations regarding college academic programs and support services. 16. Maintain on-going relationships with all feeder high schools and religious and minority communities. 17. Respond to inquiries or complaints from program participants, community agencies or the public. 18. May advise deans, program directors of marketability of programs and curriculum. 19. Attend meetings, conferences and other related events which target potential students. 20. Monitor budget expenditures within assigned fund allocations. 21. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of: 1. The use of social media and technology in recruiting and communicating with students.
2. College programs, schedules, admissions and academic requirements.
3. Methods and techniques of educational program marketing.
4. Techniques of student recruitment, program development, and evaluation.
5. Methods and techniques of academic advising; principles of effective public relations.
6. Assessing, planning and implementing a comprehensive recruitment program.
7. Effectively recruiting students for, explaining and marketing college academic programs. Skills and Ability to: 1. Identify and follow up on new recruitment and marketing strategies and contacts.
2. Interpret and apply District and program policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
3. Prepare, analyze and implement appropriate recommendations related to college recruitment activities.
4. Evaluate and advise students on a variety of academic matters and supportive needs.
5. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
6. Maintain a flexible schedule which may include evening and weekend work.
7. Work independently and exercise good judgment.
8. Write speeches and materials for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
9. Present information to large groups of students, managers, and public.
10. Relate to and gain the confidence of a variety of low-income, non-traditional students involved or potentially involved in the outreach program.
11. Be sensitive to and understand the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students/staff.
12. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
1. Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; and one year related experience or training in marketing student recruitment programs;
Associate’s degree from an accredited college or technical school; and three years of related experience or training in marketing student recruitment programs.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities