Administrative Assistant - Faculty Support Center West, Position #2255
This position is responsible for a broad range of administrative assistant level duties in the Faculty Support Center. Process requests for reimbursement of expenses and payment of invoices in the Workday Financial System. Coordinate faculty searches, course materials, catalog copy, and confidential information for department chairs and faculty. Create and maintain databases, prepare various purchasing, accounting and payroll forms. Draft letters, memos, reports for departments and support center staff. Create and update departmental web pages. Coordinate and attend departmental meetings. Assist with distribution of incoming and outgoing US and campus mail. Exhibit discretion in handling confidential materials. Work in a team environment with supervisor, staff, faculty and students.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Supervisor of Academic Support Services, works independently/collaboratively with faculty and other support center staff to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to academic departments, staff, faculty and students. Provide general information and assistance to students as authorized by the department chairs.
- Provide administrative assistance in faculty searches. Responsibilities may include establishing files and databases of correspondence for applicants, maintaining response data, planning for candidate visits, and other search‑related duties.
- Assist department and committee chairs in coordinating faculty committee meetings and interviews for tenure and promotion. Schedule meeting rooms and notify faculty of schedule. Attend and take minutes at department meetings. Prepare and process forms for placing students on payroll. May be required to approve student timesheets, track hours and monitor budget allocations.
- Assist department chairs in monitoring budget expenditures by creating databases to log in purchases, expenses and keep running balances in various categories. Track expenditures for Individual Faculty Accounts [IFA’s] for assigned faculty. Maintain and update department files and records.
- Coordinate course materials and special duplicating requests for copying and binding. Request desk copies and examination copies. Type course offerings for catalog copy. Keep records of courses offered each academic year.
- Type correspondence for department chairs. Prepare reports and typed material from semi‑finished source materials, prepare mail merges, letters and envelopes on personal computer. Compose written material from verbal instructions or draft copies relating to department matters. Assist faculty members in preparation of forms and text for grant proposals. Prepare departmental newsletters. Create flyers, announcements and invitations to special events.
- Exercise judgment in frequent independent decisions regarding faculty requests. Must be knowledgeable regarding academic department policies and procedures. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials with discretion.
- Answer telephone courteously and respond to inquiries for academic departments and the support center regarding faculty schedules and center resources. Distribute incoming and outgoing US and campus mail. Monitor use of office equipment such as fax and copy machines. Prepare billing to charge for usage. Order, distribute and account for office supplies.
- Assist with inquiries on use of office equipment. Knowledgeable in use of fax, scanner, copy machines, printers and postage meter. Knowledgeable in use of email programs and the World Wide Web. Knowledgeable in software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Outlook.
- Perform other essential administrative office duties and tasks as assigned or requested.
Graduation from high school with courses beyond high school equivalent to two years of college or business school or any combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
A minimum of four to five years of increasingly responsible related experience preferably within an academic institution, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
A valid driver’s license or equivalent means of reliable transportation to off-site meetings and events is required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to maintain high level of customer service satisfaction, display a positive attitude and the ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.Demonstrate effective, accurate and clear communication with excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, reading, phone, customer service and leadership skills to supervise, facilitate, motivate and inspire a highly diverse group of student employees. Follow all detailed tasks from written and verbal instructions, asking questions as needed for clarification of projects/tasks/duties/assignments.
- Must be able to operate computers proficiently in windows environment with ability to work effectively in many software packages including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Access and Work Day Financial Software.
- Must be able to handle all assignments and highly confidential information with patience, discretion, good judgment, courtesy and tact while working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Must possess strong spelling, sentence construction and general business English skills. Must possess strong proof reading and editing skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities in a timely and effective manner.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to work well as a member of a support team and with others.
- Must have the ability to work independently without continuous supervision. Use strong organizational and time management skills to complete work with accuracy and a keen attention to detail.
- Must be able to lift mailbags or packages of up to 30 lbs.
- Must be willing to upgrade skills, abilities and knowledge as requested in a changing environment.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Overtime hours may be required as needed but must have prior approval of the supervisor. This is a 12 month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits-eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 43-0000 Office and Administrative Support Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (up to 30 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Hires, supervises and approves timesheets for work-study students.
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. Certain positions will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.