Academic Event Planner
Academic Event Planner
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Provost's Office
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
The event planner will work directly with the Provost and other deans and administrators within the Provost's Office, and will be responsible for the logistical planning, organization of events/activities, and student award nominations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that the vision for the event is executed; being creative, choosing appropriate venues, entertainment, menus, etc., and communicating with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure smooth execution.
- Make judgement calls on site to successfully navigate unexpected situations.
- Develop event communication strategies to appropriately advertise to constituents about each event.
- Use judgement and discretion to determine appropriate use of event budget.
- Facilitates process for booking guest speaker(s) for event. Coordinate deadlines, content development, room needs, multimedia equipment, room setup, materials/handouts etc. Manages marketing, awards & giveaways by researching awards for staff and speakers, giveaway gifts for staff, banners & other visuals that will support the vision of the event.
- Devises systems for accepting and processing nominations and applications; coordinates the selection committees’ meetings; provides nomination/application materials to the committees in approved format, preferably electronic; communicates with applicants, nominators, marketing and others; prepares certificates, check requests, and plaque framing for award recipients. Awards include, but not limited to: The Chairman’s Prize, Trustee Awards, MQP awards, Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships, Charles O. Thompson Awards, Salisbury, Kranich and Two Towers Prizes.
- Manages the websites of the Provost’s Office, Undergraduate Studies, and the First Year Experience using a Content Management System (CMS). Also approves all Provost’s Office and Graduate Studies website changes.
- Keeps and communicates runoff show/event timelines; direct and coordinate with the proper service providers to troubleshoot issues as they arise (session materials, PowerPoint presentations, A/V, room setup logistics and cleanup schedules.)
- Works closely with the Provost or his/her designee on University events to be held at Hughes House. Works on the event vision directly with the Event’s Office, Chartwells, Facilities, etc. Supports the event from inception through the event with outside vendors and University staff.
- Responsible for both training and mentoring of other administrative staff within the Academic Affairs Division for event planning; providing experience, skills, expertise, creativity, and knowledge.
- New events are planned both through the Dean of Graduate Studies, i.e. PhD career talk series; thesis writing workshops; fellowship writing workshops IDP series, Communication series, etc. Additionally, the VPR foresees additional joint events with the UMass/WPI collaboration.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends.
Posting Date: 06/02/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4561
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.