Reporting Relationship: Lab Manager
The Assistant Laboratory Manager plans and directs activities concerned with the development, formulation and testing of new products by performing the following duties.
The essential role of this position is to:
- Ensure all formulation of products meet company standards for aesthetics, safety, and function.
- Directing and supervising a group of employees involved in testing, formulation and development of new and finished products to assure that quality, cost and performance standards are met.
- Develop and analyze product specifications and statistical data to ensure product is made of consistent high quality ingredients and the quality and reliability expectancy of finished products.
The position includes but is not limited to the following duties and is subject to change based on organizational needs:
- Supports R&D functions with technical expertise, guidance and good laboratory practices & procedures.
- Responsible for the development of candle combustion dynamics to improve burn quality.
- Develops an understanding of candle raw material applications and limitations to improve the utilization of alternative fuels available to the industry.
- Establishes and communicates the parameters, run size and equipment requirements for all pilot run activities. Reviews the acceptability of process, equipment, and material capabilities with the manufacturing team and product development group. Reviews the results and plans for modifications to subsequent runs.
- Conducts quality risk analysis on new products to find and prevent potential quality risks in development prior to mass production.
- Interfaces with the product development and manufacturing teams on matters relating to alternate material evaluation and qualification, process innovation and product enhancements.
- Communicate/share inspection and testing results/reports with PTI as needed.
- Provide technical support and guidance for existing products, product reformulations and predictability of product/process quality and performance.
Sample Processing and Testing
- Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation.
- Work with PTI Merchandise Executives, PTI PD & D, and Factory staff to produce high quality samples and production samples on a timely basis.
- Ensure samples and production samples match requested specifications and earlier approved standards and formulations.
- Produce internal and external testing samples that accurately match the approved appearance and formulation.
- Develop initial samples by "Balancing the Candle System" through proper ingredient formulation.
- Test initial sample formulations and constructions to ensure products are safe and properly optimized.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry is required or a degree in life sciences, engineering etc.
- Experience in process manufacturing is preferred.
- 3-5 years supervisory experience is preferred
- Advanced computer literacy in MS Office Suite.
Glen Burnie, MD
Sun, 4 Jun 2017 09:41:22 PDT