SLI - Russian Faculty (Summer 2017)
SLI - Russian Faculty (Summer 2017)
Benefits Eligible: No
Campus Location: Dahlonega
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is seeking applications for a faculty member for the Summer Language Institute. The Summer Language Institute (SLI) is an intensive, residential language program. The SLI covers the content of two semesters (1001 + 1002) of language learning in a 6-week period. The successful candidate will design active, engaging, communicative lessons for an eight-hour day, six days a week immersion program. These lessons must aim at achieving a minimum proficiency of Novice-high/Intermediate-low on the ACTFL scale and focus on students' competencies, knowledge, and skills in aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing Russian, and assist in appreciating and understanding the culture of the countries where Russian is spoken. Program dates: June 18 - July 30, 2017.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The faculty member will:
- Teach first-year and/or second-year Arabic language using the UNG program design and curriculum.
- Teach comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing utilizing a communicative approach to language teaching which is compatible with the basic instructional philosophy of the SLI.
- Prepare lessons which enhance students' understanding and appreciation of a culture of countries where Arabic is spoken. Monitor and assess student work. Maintain appropriate student assessment records.
- Supervise language tutors and resident tutors.
- Work collaboratively with other SLI language instructors to design language appropriate activities.
- Plan a language specific field trip to Atlanta.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Flexible; responsible; multi-tasker; adaptive in a fluid environment; creative; enthusiastic; active; engaged teaching methodology; positive attitude; patient; passionate; high-energy teaching style
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Master's degree in target Language, Literature, Linguistics, or Foreign Language Education (Language Pedagogy) with an emphasis in target language or closely related field at the time of appointment
- Previous experience in intensive language program preferred
- Experience teaching target language at the university level
- Native or near-native proficiency in the target language and English
- Ability to work collaboratively with campus constituencies
- Ability to teach in an intensive language setting
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants: If you received any graduate degree from an institution outside the United States, you must provide a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Find a full list of NACES members at http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.