Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2017-7350
Department Integrative Genomics
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 7 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a research specialist to join the laboratory of Coleen Murphy. Her research is centered on understanding the molecular mechanisms of aging, using the model system C. elegans. Projects will involve exploring the genetics, genomics, molecular biology and biochemistry of C. elegans. The research specialist will also be expected to perform general lab support duties.
Specific duties include:
- Maintenance of frozen stocks and live strains of C. elegans for laboratory use and for distribution.
- Maintenance of laboratory stock databases: C. elegans, E. coli, RNAi libraries, microarray oligo and PCR libraries, and plasmids.
- Maintenance of lab microscopes.
- Maintenance of lab freezers, N2 tanks, incubators, and refrigerators.
- Isolation of C. elegans RNA & DNA for microarray experiments.
- Set-up of microarray hybridization experiments, including post-processing of microarrays, scanning, and gridding of slides for data acquisition.
- Acquisition of lab supplies, maintenance of lab inventories, and maintenance of service contracts.
- Making basic solutions and stocks for general lab use.
- Being familiar with current lab projects and current literature.
- Conducting a research project with input and guidance from the PI, but largely independently on a daily basis.
- Assisting other lab members on projects as needed.
- Participation in group meetings.
- Basic computer skills and some familiarity with databases.
- Previous lab research experience necessary; experience working with C. elegans or Drosophila and doing molecular biology preferable but not necessary.
- Must be able to maintain a meticulous daily laboratory notebook.
- Must be able to work with well with others and provide support to other projects.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and flexibility to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Should have a strong attention to detail.
- Experience with basic molecular biology and invertebrate model systems procedures is preferred.
- Previous independent research (senior thesis equivalent) is also preferred, particularly with an emphasis on the hormonal basis of longevity and reproduction.
- Bachelor's Degree
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.