Graduate Student Services Advisor 2
Salary: $40,300 - $59,800
Title: Graduate Student Services Advisor 2
Category: Student Affairs and Advising
Department: CNAS Graduate Stdt Affairs Ctr
Date Posted: 04/06/2017
Position Information: This position has been designated for a Career Ladder recruitment, which means the hiring department can recruit and fill this role at different levels within the position classification series. This position is currently posted as Graduate Student Services Advisor 2 (job #201703246462) and Graduate Student Services Advisor 3 (job #201703246442). Applicants are encouraged to review both positions to determine the best match for their skills. All applicants will be assessed based on the minimum requirements for the level(s) for which they applied. Serve as a member of the CNAS Graduate Student Affairs Center team. Assist with the operation and improvement of the Center. Position has direct responsibility for two or three of the Graduate Programs within the Center (Applied Statistics; Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology; Entomology; Environmental Sciences; Environmental Toxicology; Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology; Genetics, Genomics and Bioinformatics; Geological Sciences; Mathematics; Microbiology; Neuroscience; Plant Biology; Plant Pathology; Statistics, UCR/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program in Evolutionary Biology). Advises faculty, staff and students regarding policies and procedures in all aspects of graduate student affairs. Works with the various programs and graduate advisors to develop short-term and long-term goals to meet the advising needs of students. Finalists will be required to complete a skills assessment as part of the selection process.
Minimum Requirements: Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
Knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
Ability in problem identification and reasoning.
Skills in service orientation, organization, active listening, and critical thinking.
Ability to multi-task; verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of University of California policies and procedures of administrative service units (i.e. Graduate Division, Registrar's Office, Academic Senate)
Experience with UC Employment practices, policies, and procedures and their application to graduate students.
Understanding of University rules and regulations.
Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and pertinent databases.
Knowledge of University processes and procedures.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview