Civil Engineer/Project Manager ~ PE (Atlanta area)
Rochester & Associates, Inc. has 2 offices in the Greater Atlanta Metro Area. Positions are available in both our Gainesville & Fayetteville offices.
This position functions as a member of a RAI client services team, with the purpose of participating in and contributing to the design and production of construction plans for client projects. The objective is to deliver plans that a) clearly convey to the client and his contractors the implementation of the land plan, b) meet the requirements of our agreement as to type and quality of services and timeliness of completion, c) meet the approval of local, state and federal governing authorities and d) meet company goals of team and firm profitability.
II. Essential Duties:
1. Assist the Senior Engineer in planning, organizing and leading the daily engineering activities of assigned staff in the accomplishment of client project tasks. Manage own priorities and those of any assigned staff to meet client, team and corporate goals. May provide technical assistance and/or advice to other team members as appropriate. Participate in the accomplishment of project tasks, such as:
- Completion of initial design and preparation of preliminary drawings
- Review jurisdictional and client comments and make revisions as appropriate
- Completion of final design and preparation of final project documents
- Coordinate preparation and recordation of final plats, as-builts, etc.
2. Function as a contact point for the client concerning the engineering aspects of his/her project. Facilitate good communications among the client, all RAI departments and team groups and applicable governing bodies.
3. With the Team Leader and/or Senior Engineer, may attend and participate in initial client meetings regarding new project proposals as well as new project kickoffs to ensure a clear understanding of the complete project in order to be able to effectively contribute to the preparation of proposals and facilitate the proper completion of assigned tasks.
4. Provide input to the Senior Engineer in preparing proposals for clients including a clear and complete scope of work, pricing, time schedule and resource requirements (both RAI and subconsultants).
5. Provide input on a) the technical approach to project tasks and b) intermediate & finished work product to ensure that they meet objectives of client while adhering to local, state and federal laws. Also assure compliance with company quality assurance/control standards.
Organize, direct and conduct preliminary review of the research and data necessary for the design of the project such as zoning conditions, latest design standards, existing utility information, environmental issues, topo, etc.
6. Coordinate with applicable government agencies and attend meetings as appropriate to assure that client projects comply with agency regulations and are approved by them.
7. Ensure that additional work requested by the client that is outside the scope of the original contract is identified, and that change orders are issued and approved by the client before this additional work is done.
8. Perform periodic QA/QC reviews of the design documents as appropriate.
9. In cooperation with the Senior Engineer, assure that all internal paperwork such as project proposals, contracts, budget reviews, time card reviews & submittals and invoicing follow established company policy, procedures and standards, and are accomplished in a timely and efficient manner.
10. Supervise and lead assigned staff, if any, in accomplishing their essential duties related to client and government agency communication & relationships and RAI internal paperwork.
11. Contribute to staff training & professional development programs, and participate in the daily technical and administrative on-the-job skills training of junior staff
12. Be aware of and abide by all appropriate safety and loss prevention guidelines and policies.
13. Participate in the marketing efforts of the firm by ensuring that, in the course of conducting normal project tasks, clients are made aware of all the related services that the firm offers. Be alert to information about potential upcoming projects that might require RAI services, and alert appropriate firm personnel to pursue.
14. May function as a Staff Engineer when one is absent or when the team is too small to support a separate Staff Engineer function.
15. React to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
III. General Description:
This position functions as a part of a client services team, and is responsible for the production of construction plans that can be used by clients and their contractors for the development and construction of projects. This includes participating in a) initial meetings and proposals, b) accomplishment of project tasks, c) coordination and communication with clients, d) coordination with applicable government agencies and subcontractors, e) interim QA/QC reviews and f) successful delivery of the final product to the client. This position participates in and helps coordinate the production and delivery of RAI services with other team members, clients and their subcontractors on all assigned projects. Position also involves a) skills & professional development of junior staff, b) participation in the firms marketing efforts and c) upholding the firm's standards of technical practice, policies and philosophies.
IV. Experience & Education
A. Work experience (including length of time), training, and/or level of education necessary for this position.
BS degree in related technical field required. Level of proficiency usually associated with 8 or more years engineering design experience in the land development field. Requires EIT or Professional Engineer registration in the state of Georgia and proven ability to handle all aspects of project management.
Ability to obtain professional licensing (PE) is preferred but not required.
B. Required technical skills (typing, computer skills, etc.):
Requires a working knowledge of CAD design software so that competency in working with and managing the use of the current RAI design software may be achieved within three months. Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet and project management software so that competency in using MS Outlook, Word, Excel and Project desktop software may be achieved quickly.
C. Special training and/or abilities necessary to qualify for this position.
Good verbal and written communications skills required. Familiarity with applying financial data to project management; thinking and planning strategically; the building, organization and leadership of teams and an understanding of project management skills is highly desirable. Must be able to make project presentations before government agencies.
V.Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
Work hours are normally early morning to late afternoon (7:30 AM to 6:00 PM, for example) Monday through Friday but may vary depending on weather, client needs, company priorities and workload or other considerations. Some evening and/or Saturday work may be required. Occasional evening meetings with government agencies may be required. Position is mostly office work at a computer terminal with occasional visits to job sites to observe work and conditions. This may involve walking through difficult terrain in all types of weather conditions. Some overnight travel may be required. Firm maintains a smoke-free office environment.
VI. Special Considerations
A. Position requires someone who is self-motivated who can work with minimal supervision from the Team Leader or Senior Engineer/Designer while accomplishing the essential duties of this position.
B. May supervise the work of one or more technical personnel.
C. May have knowledge of clients' confidential business plans.
VII.General Notes or Comments
The firm has adopted a Purpose Statement and a Statement of Core Values. All employees, especially managers and supervisors, must understand, accept and apply these statements as guiding principles in the daily conduct of their business.
There are some fundamentals that we need for all employees to grasp as an essential part of being a successful member of the Rochester & Associates, Inc. team:
- You are needed at your job every day and you need to be on time.
- You should dress appropriately for the job you will be performing. This includes dressing for safety where applicable.
- The desire and motivation to improve and grow needs to come from within you.
- If the company does not make a profit, its ceases to exist along with all the jobs there.
- Stretch, don't be afraid to try new things. Ask for help as soon as you need it.
Rochester & Associates is a second generation firm (celebrating our 50TH ANNIVERSARY) where we take great pride in the relationships we have built amongst our team and with our clients. As a result of these relationships and the quality of our services, we are blessed with a very strong backlog. We are currently looking for professionals with the desire to work on interesting projects and the passion to master the latest techniques in our field.
Rochester & Associates is a relationship-based land development solutions provider with team members providing land surveying, civil engineering, and project managementservices from our Georgia based offices. Since 1966, we have built our reputation on repeat business from wildly satisfied clients who unquestionably use us for their next project.
Our philosophy is to become an integral part of our clients' project teams. As their needs have expanded, we have grown with them. Over 75% of our business is for repeat clients, with numerous relationships lasting for decades. Our clients tell us the primary reasons they select and continue to retain us is our hands-on, service-oriented business philosophy coupled with our commitment to quality, reliability, and responsiveness to their needs.
The most vital resource Rochester brings to its clients is our people. They possess the skills and experience to provide technical knowledge, seasoned business judgment, and creative input to support businesses and government in their current and future projects.
Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employment Company
Sat, 3 Jun 2017 10:17:47 PDT