Academic Advisor (Multiple Positions)
Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York (Medgar Evers) believes that education has the power to positively transform the lives of individuals, and that education is the right of all. A dynamic and vibrant institution, its mission is to provide higher education for the underserved populations of Central Brooklyn through high-quality, professional and career-oriented undergraduate degree programs. A four-year liberal arts college, Medgar Evers is a beacon of educational opportunity, culture, and success to the New York City community and beyond. The College is dedicated to making a positive impact on the surrounding community and pioneering initiatives that will create success for even the youngest learners in Central Brooklyn.
Reporting to the Director of Academic Advising and Student Success, the Academic Advisor provides academic advising, guidance, and support to students from recruitment to graduation. The Academic Advisor assists students in caseload with goal clarification and career planning based on each major and career interest. The successful candidate will represent the Advising Center on appropriate committees and work groups.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Advise students individually or in groups on programs of study and degree options, departmental course sequencing, academic planning, college and program policies/procedures/guidelines and student support services.
- Support and provide advisement services during all registration periods
- Develop academic plans, and monitor student progress towards successful degree completion.
- Monitor student performance and take appropriate action, when necessary, to resolve academic issues regarding degree requirements.
- Maintain student advisement files and track advisement activity.
- Assists in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Academic Advising Center's goals and objectives.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- Experience working with database or student management systems.
- Ability to work extended hours (flexible evenings and weekends when needed) during peak operation periods as defined by supervisors.
- Effective communication skills. Ability to build rapport with a variety of constituents.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
To apply, please log on to: www.cuny.edu. Click on "Employment" and scroll down to "Search for Jobs." Click on "Search Job Listings" and select job category "Managerial and Professional."
JOB ID: 16803
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click the appropriate link to register.
Applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.
July 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: Academic Advisor (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16803
Full/Part Time: Full-Time