University HR Operations Specialist - Unemployment Insurance
The Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM) of The City University of New York (CUNY) delivers comprehensive human resources programs and services to the 24 colleges and professional schools that comprise the University. Within OHRM, there are over 100 staff members at two NYC locations that oversee the University's Benefits, Payroll, and unemployment insurance functions and services covering approximately 40,000 full-time and part-time employees.
The Unemployment Insurance Unit seeks an experienced human resources or benefits specialist to administer the University's unemployment insurance program. Reporting to the Director of the Unemployment Insurance Unit, the specialist will represent the University at Administrative Law Judge hearings; present evidence, conduct cross examinations and give closing statements. The University HR Operations Specialist prepares unemployment insurance cases by researching pertinent facts and laws, compiling documents and evidence and interviewing potential witnesses. The Specialist also appeals cases as necessary to the Appeal Board, obtains transcripts and researches and writes briefs.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, other duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide guidance to the colleges on claims administration, case reviews and general unemployment insurance issues.
- Research and investigate claimant requests for unemployment, review benefits to determine entitlement/eligibility.
- Administer and maintain case files, documents, witness sheets and hearing and decision records.
- Liaise with the Department of Labor and other external agencies or regulatory bodies.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
The preferred candidate will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Advanced degree or professional certification in a relevant discipline preferred.
- Four years' human resources experience, particularly working with unemployment insurance benefits in large, complex, or unionized higher education or public institutions.
- Knowledge of unemployment insurance labor law, relevant terms, benefits, and coverage as well as New York State codes, rules, regulations, and programs.
- Ability to perform duties with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality.
- Proactive and flexible with strong organizational and time management skills to manage a varied workload and conflicting priorities, plus triage urgent situations effectively.
- Detail oriented and accurate with sound critical analysis, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and mediation skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills..
- Ability to navigate complex University and college frameworks as well as establish and maintain positive working relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to workplace diversity, accountability, transparency, and service excellence.
- Computer proficiency using standard office programs and PeopleSoft HRIS benefits and payroll systems.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers processes and policies university-wide as part of a team of HR professionals in CUNY's Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM).
- Advises members of the University community on HR policies and guidelines, providing a high level of customer service
- Reviews transactions and employee data using the utmost discretion; may conduct audits and prepare reports and communications
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of, and applies, CUNY policies, rules and regulations, relevant laws and guidelines, and selected provisions of collective bargaining agreements.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a focused cover letter and rsum addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
June 22, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: University HR Operations Specialist - Unemployment Insurance
Job ID: 16906
Full/Part Time: Full-Time