Facilities Planning Director
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers Bachelors and Masters degrees and participates in the Doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
The Director of Space Planning and Capital Projects will oversee staff responsible for project management of capital projects and monitor the progress of over $50 million in complex capital projects currently underway at the college. The Director will be responsible for strategic planning of the overall space needs of the College including setting policies for allocation and use of space. The Director will also administer the preparation of the five (5) year capital plan, work with the office of external affairs to prepare budget request documents for submission to various legislative offices for funding, review and analyze potential lease and real estate opportunities.
In addition to the duties enumerated above, the Director of Space Planning and Special Projects will:
- Communicate with the college community regarding the status of projects and any interruptions in day to day activities.
- Coordinate with the University's Office of Facilities Planning, Construction and Management, Dormitory Authority of the State of New York and the College's Facilities Department.
- Represent the College at Construction Project meetings.
- Review construction plans and architectural drawings to ensure they accurately reflect the requirements specified.
- Manage staff responsible for planning moves, creating CADD drawings for space reconfiguration and furniture layouts.
- Plan and oversee renovation and relocation of offices as required by campus needs.
- Serve as liaison with over 80 departments to understand and develops layouts and drawings to accommodate the college space needs.
- Convert College needs to technical specifications.
- Provide oversight and direction to consultants performing space allocation analysis of the College's leased and owned spaces.
- Coordinate collection of data and requirements for consultants.
- Represent the College and act in the place of senior executives in matters related to space planning and capital projects.
Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, engineering, or related field and eight (8) years' applicable experience is required.
- Familiarity with the New York State Dormitory Authority and City University of New York Capital Projects procedures and funding procurement
- Experience with New York City Building Codes, Rules and Regulations and agencies that relate to the construction process
- A valid New York State Registration as an Architect or Professional Engineer
- Experience with Construction Management of large projects as it relates to Higher Education facilities
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs, plans, and supports the facilities and space requirements of academic programs and other facilities as required.
- Works with Directors and Department Chairs to determine short- and long-range facilities requirements
- Facilitates the design and renovation of classrooms and laboratories
- Participates in long-range planning for academic department needs
- Performs space utilization and efficiency studies, determines space needs, and prepares master plans
- Manages space inventory databases
- Coordinating with University resources, assists in managing major design and construction projects
- Performs other duties as required.
Job Title Name: Facilities Planning Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on any website other than CUNYFirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Search by job Opening ID number (16888)
- Click on "more options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
July 1, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Facilities Planning Director
Job ID: 16888