Instructor Building Construction
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Building Trades
Location: Wellsville, NY
Posted: Jun 02, '17
The Building Trades Department is seeking a motivated individual to instruct students in the Building Construction program. Ideal candidates will have a strong background in theory and working knowledge of the construction industry, especially carpentry. This position will instruct in both lecture and laboratory settings, including off-campus laboratory sites. This instructor will have involvement in curriculum development, advising students, recruiting, university service, maintaining industry relations and continuing professional development in the trade.
- An associate degree (or higher) in a related field and an OSHA 10-hour (Hazard Recognition Training for the Construction Industry) certificate.
- Classroom and laboratory teaching experience in applied technology.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Seven years of professional experience with a minimum of five years of approved trade experience.
- A working knowledge of residential and commercial carpentry, project management, material estimating, building code requirements, print reading, OSHA regulations, and site safety are important.
- An ability to safely and efficiently manage up to 20 people with varied skill levels on a job site.
- A strong commitment to quality undergraduate teaching.
- Proficiency in the use of computer based technology applicable for a construction curriculum.
- A willingness to actively participate in the college learning community and advance through continued education through university service.
- Applicants must be well versed in operating trade equipment used in the construction industry.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.