Social Media and Digital Content Manager
University of Delaware
Job Title Social Media and Digital Content Manager
Job ID 104674
Location Newark, DE
PAY GRADE: 30E
DEADLINE: Open until Filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Associate AD Communications & Digital Strategy, the Social Media & Digital Content Manager develops and implements a comprehensive digital outreach plan in support of the missions of the University of Delaware Athletic Department. The incumbent will support the development of strategic communications, with specific focus on digital engagement and promoting Delaware Athletics news, events, storytelling and other information via social media and the website. The Managers responsible for the creation of digital strategies, multimedia content, videos, webmaster duties, social media and other projects to further the University's strategies to engage with current and prospective student athletes, alumni, fans and the greater University community around the globe. The Manager manages the primary Athletic Department social media channels -including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat -and helps coordinate and service the department's other social media channels, including those of Delaware's 21 individual sports accounts and other department teams (such as sports performance and nutrition and student engagement Cockpit). The Manager works with the athletics administration, coaching staff and student interns to develop and plan rollout strategies for creative and innovative digital content, assess project priorities and assist with project management. The Manager works across the communications department to integrate digital strategy and planning into communications and outreach efforts. The Manager will also monitor and analyze metrics and bridge content in collaboration with the marketing and sales teams to ensure a clear strategy is set to meet goals across the external relations department.
The Manager will work in the department's content management system, currently Titan with Neulion, and Hootsuite for social media. The Manager will assist in a variety of work, including the development of websites and webpages within Titan, which may include creating unique and original content for multimedia (such as graphics, infographics and/or video) or developing functionality for the website components; repurposing content from newsletters, photo, video, news coverage and/or social media for multi-platform distribution; and monitoring traffic to ensure Delaware Athletics is reaching its target audiences for communications efforts. The incumbent will also be responsible for working with analytics, through Google Analytics and Hootsuite, and collaborating for developing and employing Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing (SEO & SEM) strategies.
Serve as a visionary for social media and digital content strategy, acting as a proactive subject matter expert in social and digital media and developing team guidelines and protocols along with an ongoing staff and SA training program.
- Establish short- and long- range objectives and develop strategic and technical plans for implementing social media campaigns.
- Work with IT staff and web provider/ OCM web developers to troubleshoot issues and integrate social media and the website, along with integration into udel.edu.
- Work closely with the Associate AD and Delaware Athletics external operations team to develop, implement, roll out and train on appropriate guidelines, policies and procedures for all digital media efforts by Delaware Athletics.
- Develop and execute digital growth campaigns to increase exposure for Delaware Athletics (paid advertising, Google Adwords, Crowdfire, influencer campaigns, etc.).
- Stay abreast of technological advancements and trends in the digital space and collaborate on the research, procurement, and implementation of present and emerging technologies across social media and the website that can enhance Delaware Athletics' outreach and engagement.
- With the guidance of the Associate AD, help train and educate colleagues across the external relations team as well as appropriate coaching staff on new digital trends and apps for social editing and content capture (Filtera, Boomerang, Repost, photo blender, etc.).
- In conjunction with the Associate AD, research, evaluate and implement social media presence for the University on new platforms. Think strategically and apply market techniques to increase visibility, boost traffic, engage with constituents and measure impact of efforts.
Oversee department wide social media community management, including monitoring, interaction with audiences, customer service, and conducting skillful data analysis to draw actionable conclusions and operational efficiencies as it relates to digital content.
- Lead digital analytics and metrics reporting, including utilizing Google Analytics, in platform metrics, Hootsuite and audience surveys to help the team optimize our content approach, increase engagement and raise the visibility of Delaware Athletics.
- Help manage Athletics relationship with Hootsuite and oversee student workstation.
- Utilize Hootsuite to monitor conversation on Delaware Athletics, create lists (both on Twitter and in Hootsuite) for engagement, respond to, engage and interact with our audience, schedule content and analyze metrics.
- Develop, implement and oversee maintenance and moderation of blogs, message boards, social media, mobile alerts in coordination with OCM digital staff.
- Monitor compliance of SAs and staff on social media and help rectify issues.
- Serve as a member of the crisis management team- assisting with website and/or social media management and communication.
Collaborate across the external relations department to develop and execute robust and diverse social media and digital content plans, including the development of an ongoing editorial calendar and sustainable content series.
- Maintain and oversee all departmental social media platforms, serving as the digital "voice" of Delaware Athletics while providing support to all other accounts and account users.
- Develop and project manage an editorial calendar that includes strategic digital rollout plans for all content and multimedia assets.
- Development of special campaigns and promotions through a variety of digital media outlets (microsites, apps, blogs, etc).
- Support in-game and travel-game content capture and promotion across social media channels; collaborate with Media Relations and video team to role sort for game specific duties.
- Collaborate with Media Relations to create strategy for away game social media coverage and roles.
- Manage the Athletic Department presence on multimedia-based social media platforms by creating unique and engaging posts, developing sustainable and ongoing content series, videos and photo galleries, curating hashtags and user-generated content and developing campaigns.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Media Relations, video team and coaching staff on sport specific channels to develop role sort and ongoing, sustainable content for each sport beyond in-season.
- Collaborate with units across athletics to proactively identify and plan digital outreach opportunities (e.g. social media influencer outreach around an event, collaborating with local media/news on a campaign push).
- In collaboration with the video team, help produce multimedia displays and audiovisuals for University use focused on mobile video content for the web and social media. Duties could include write/edit text or script; procure visuals, music, narrators; obtain necessary copyright permissions; coordinate production; produce videos; set up and market final product.
- Ensure that all digital outreach efforts and products meet University standards for quality and audience comprehension.
- Develop interactive fan content (polls, surveys, Twitter Chats, grassroots content, contests, etc.).
- Develop and test new strategies for content, including repurposing current and existing content to enhance exposure and value (e.g. Periscope/Facebook Live Coaches Show to reach a wider audience).
- Help develop student athlete Social Media Ambassadors in collaboration with current OCM program.
Oversee all content and management of Delaware Athletics web presence, including bluehens.com and microsites as applicable.
- Coordinate departmental website content strategy, including scheduling, planning and distribution and collaborate with secondary webpage owners to keep content fresh and up-to-date. Interface with other departments and coaching staffs to maintain and update specific site sections.
- Serve as the Delaware Athletics day-to-day liaison with our website project manager and help oversee the relationship.
- Establishes and maintains Website directory structures, website pages, and content files; oversees the testing and troubleshooting of website on various platforms.
- Help create and execute integrated website page and microsite development and various campaigns to support cross-department milestones.
- Coordinate with the Associate AD to help set a vision and strategy for effective usage of website microsites and campaigns to achieve goals. In collaboration with Media Relations and video team, help bring webpage and microsite visions to life.
- Regularly gather and assess website analytics and help team optimize based on performance.
- Help drive and capture new web content such as 360 degree video tours and stay abreast of web trends to keep Delaware Athletics content fresh and on trend.
Manage photography freelance and student staff for the Athletics Department, including developing shot lists for events and games, management of photographer staffing, coordinating and scheduling for in-game duties as well as headshots and team photo shoots.
- Collaborate with Media Relations, marketing, sales and video team to assess and plan for all photography needs.
- Establish a process with photographers to get photography uploaded and available quickly for social media dissemination.
- Establish a process for efficient and organized archiving of all photos on Smugmug and other sites.
- Help recruit, train, and manage staff of student interns.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, broadcast journalism, public relations, English, interactive media or other job-related discipline and four years' experience in social media creation and curation as well as photography, graphics and video production.
- Experience developing, training and supervising student workers and/or interns.
- Experience with social media strategy and content development, web editing and email marketing back-end user software preferred.
- Experience in an agency setting and/or with brand marketing or athletics marketing preferred. Knowledge of and interest in collegiate athletics.
- Proficiency and experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram and have experience in developing and deploying diverse digital content via social media that spurs discussion and engagement with various online communities.
- Proficient with both PC and Mac computer systems, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign, or similar), Hootsuite, Mailchimp (or similar), paid social media tools and tactics (paid social advertising, Google Adwords, SEO/SEM knowledge, etc.), video and editing tools (Final Cut, iMovie), flash rich internet applications, web tools, analytics (Google, Hootsuite, in platform), and new media platforms.
- Experience with web content-management systems (Adobe, Dreamweaver, Drupal, WordPress, etc.) and web editing tools such as CMS, HTML, CSS.
- Web planning and organizing skills and experience and understanding of web-based graphic design and layout.
- Strong writing skill, specifically for social media platforms.
- Knowledge of video creation and editing (especially via mobile) and creative design skills preferred. Experience with video storyboarding, shooting, editing and posting to social media and webpages. Additional skills in shooting and editing photography for social media that can be shared online.
- Knowledge of trends in social media, multimedia and digital publishing techniques and the ability to anticipate audience needs in regard to planning and organizing cutting-edge, continually evolving digital strategy and communications best practices.
- Must be able to repurpose content for multiple platforms with a unique perspective.
- Professional, results-oriented self-starter who takes initiative to solve problems and has the ability to foster a cooperative environment.
- Highly organized and experienced in communication with excellent writing and editing skills; attention to details is essential.
- Ability to assess situations rapidly in a fast-paced environment, develop creative and cost-effective ways to solve problems, and establish cooperative working relationships with other campus units as well as external vendors.
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in group settings with a positive can-do demeanor.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at a given time and to establish and meet deadlines in a productive manner.
- Knowledge of proofreading and appropriate style guides.
- Willingness to comply with NCAA regulations.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond the typical business day, nights and weekends throughout the academic year, when required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html