University of Delaware
Job Title Athletic Trainer
Job ID 104673
Location Newark, DE
PAY GRADE: 28E
DEADLINE: Open until Filled
CONTEXT OF JOB:
The Athletic Trainer I, at the University of Delaware is a valued member within the University and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS), upholding and embracing the departmental mission of "Inspiring Greatness Together."
Under the general direction of the Head Athletic Trainer, the Athletic Trainer I position is responsible for assisting with all aspects of athletic training for an NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics program, including, but not limited to rehabilitation of athletic injuries/illnesses, injury evaluation, management, and documentation, treatment/preparation for practices and competitions, on-site coverage, supervision of athletic training students, and assigned team travel.
- Plans, organizes and delivers treatment/rehabilitation programs specific to student athletes as medically prescribed by the Sports Medicine Physician or Head Athletic Trainer. Advises and treats student athletes to maintain physical fitness for participation in athletic competition. Records and maintains appropriate treatment/rehabilitation records for student-athletes.
- Evaluates athletes' physical condition, response and progress and discuss with appropriate physician and Head Athletic Trainer. Informs coaches of status of athletes' condition. Maintains direct contact with the sports medicine doctors, coaching staff, strength & conditioning staff, University administrators, student athletes and parents. Interfaces with student athletes, staff, coaches, physicians, athletic trainers and auxiliary medical personnel for counseling purposes and information exchange.
- Provides athletic training coverage for designated sports programs, including practices, home and away contests. Provides AT Room coverage during designated seasons. Sport responsibilities as assigned by Head Athletic Trainer
- Provides medical emergency coverage to injured student athletes at practices and athletics events as needed. Administers first aid until appropriate medical assistance can be obtained. Arranges for injured athletes to be seen by the team physician or Student Health Center physician.
Supervision of Students 10%
- Supervises and educates athletic training students in a clinical setting.
- Stays informed of developments in field. Reads pertinent literature, attends meetings and educational classes and participates in professional associations as appropriate.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in Athletic Training, Sports Medicine or related discipline with 2-3 years' experience as a Certified Athletic Trainer in intercollegiate athletics. National Athletic Trainers Association BOC certification.
- State of Delaware Athletic Training licensure eligibility.
- CPR/AED and First Aid certification, instructor certification preferred.
- Experience as an approved clinical instructor (ACI) and with the clinical supervision of athletic training students enrolled in a CAATE accredited Athletic Training Education Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html