RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
RESEARCH TECHNICAN II (Accessioning Unit / Repository)
The Accessioning Unit (AU) / Repository in The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) receives human and non-human primate whole blood and isolates sera, plasma, and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from these samples. The AU / Repository also stores isolated samples, retrieves frozen samples, and provides samples to investigators inside and outside DHVI. The AU / Repository also provides domestic and international shipping service for investigators at DHVI. All processing and storage is completed under established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that are overseen by the Quality Assurance for Duke Vaccine Immunogenicity Program (QADVIP).
- Isolation of plasma and PBMCs from human blood following Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) guidelines.
- Isolation of plasma and PBMCs from blood and other specimens derived from humans, non-human primates, and other animal species; perform cryopreservation and maintain excellent records of processed and stored materials.
- Coordinate with DHVI staff and DHVI customers on retrieval of specimens housed in the AU / Repository.
- Coordinate with DHVI staff and DHVI customers on domestic and international shipments.
- Maintain the maintenance of logs and reports regarding processing, storage, and retrieval of specimens retained in the AU / Repository.
- Maintain accurate inventories of materials in the AU / Repository, using software tools mandated by AU / Repository Manager.
- Setup, operate, repair, clean and maintain laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties.
- Read, understand, and follow SOPs.
- Once satisfactorily trained and approved by the AU / Repository Director and Manager, this individual will be expected to work some days (25-50% of schedule) during a shifted, evening hour schedule up to midnight. Hours for these shifts will be paid at the second shift premium per Duke policy. Shifted schedule hours will be coordinated with the AU / Repository Manager to harmonize with sample processing.
- Perform other duties as requested by the AU / Repository Director, Manager, or senior lab staff.
Education, Skills, & Experience Requirements
Bachelor's degree in biology or a related field.
Must be detail-oriented, well organized and approach procedures with critical thinking of the technical aspects with strong communication skills and ability to work in an interactive team environment.
You must be willing and available to work flexible hours which may include later start and end times with the understanding that work hours may need to be extended until a project/task has reached a logical and acceptable stopping point to maintain the integrity of the science.
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherscience related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.