University of Colorado - School of Medicine
This is a unique opportunity to work in an academic and clinical Pediatric Orthopedic Trauma and General Orthopedics practice. The position will be a full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor -Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner position in the Department of Orthopedics. The employee will work at multiple Children's Hospital Colorado campuses as both an on-call trauma provider and general orthopedics clinician. The position is not eligible for tenure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a position requiring interest in pediatric orthopedic trauma surgery as well as non-operative care and general orthopedics.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Writes prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Provides weekly mid-level daytime call coverage. Provide fracture reductions in ER as needed. Perform joint aspirations and injections as needed. Duties will include consultation to CHCO colleagues and outside providers regarding care of orthopedic trauma patients.
- Writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs.
- There will be casting, splinting, and dressing required.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the team.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, mid-level students and other health professional students engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Assist in preparing and giving power point and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
This position works 5 days per week at various locations.
- State of Colorado Certified Physician Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants or certification by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
- CPR Certified
- 2-3 years experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- Experience with Epic software or epic training, a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with orthopedic trauma conditions. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of the current electronic medical record program (EPIC) and be an available resource to other health care providers.
- The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin June 5, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Jodi.email@example.com
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09776
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Jun 2, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jodi Naylor
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00723586