Access and Public Services, Department Head
University of Colorado - Auraria Library
Access and Public Services, Department Head
The University of Colorado Denver's Auraria Library is searching for a dynamic, innovative, and customer service focused Access and Public Services, Department Head. The Auraria Library is located on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colorado. The Library is administered by the University of Colorado Denver and serves over 45,000 students from three institutions of higher education on one campus - University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, and Community College of Denver. The Auraria Library is newly renovated and for more information about the renovation, visit http://library.auraria.edu/renovations/phases/innovating-dreams.
The Access and Public Services, Department Head position provides leadership and guidance for a variety of services including: circulation, course reserves, document delivery, consortial resource sharing, media collections, disability services, learning commons partnerships located in the Library, and the Library's integrated public service points where customers get assistance with general information needs, first level of reference, and technology. This non-tenure track senior instructor position requires a strong commitment to public services coupled with a vision for using emerging technologies and evidence-based decision practices to develop, implement, and assess services.
The Access and Public Services Department consists of six full-time employees, two temporary employees and twelve to fifteen student employees. This position will directly supervise three full-time employees.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Leads and promotes the operations of the Library's integrated service points that provide desk and roving assistance for first level of reference, disability services, library technology, general inquiries, circulation, course reserves, document delivery, and other transactions.
- Explores and implements ongoing technological and programmatic advances in access and public services. Collaborates with colleagues in the use of evidence-based decision making to determine best practices and cutting-edge services.
- Liaises with campus partners participating in the Library's Knowledge Market, currently including research, writing and tutoring services, as well as envisioning future partnerships.
- Captures, analyzes, and assesses transactional and performance metrics and data to determine trends and develop strategies to improve the library experience for students, faculty, and staff.
- Analyzes and manages workflows and processes to improve delivery, speed, effectiveness, and accuracy of resource sharing.
- Supervises and evaluates three full-time employees.
- Oversees the Library's Circulation System (Sierra, Innovative Interfaces).
- Collaborates to maximize effective use of Library resources, including the Library's electronic/print collections, digital signage, and interactive learning spaces.
- Develops and implements strategies for improving the functionality of course reserves by partnering with teaching faculty, educational technology centers, Education and Outreach Services Head, and Library liaisons.
- Works with consortium partners, such as CLIC, Colorado Alliance, and Prospector to ensure effective operations.
- Collaborates with the Library Facilities Manager and security personnel to ensure optimal functioning of the physical building from a user-centric focus and to manage emergency situations.
- Participates in Library and departmental strategic planning.
- Actively promotes an environment of continual improvement by engaging in ongoing learning, information sharing, and professional development as a member of the Auraria Library learning organization.
- Open and close the library on occasion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation: $70,000-$75,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Start Date: Summer 2017.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library school or program.
- Two years of relevant professional experience in access and public services, reference, circulation (including an integrated library system), interlibrary loan, document delivery, and/or course reserves.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in an academic library environment in a variety of access and public services including: reference, circulation including an integrated library system (such as Innovative), interlibrary loan, document delivery, and course reserves.
- Assessment experience in the access and public services areas including collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09052
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:This position is open until filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30124 - AVC-OARS Library
Posting Date: Apr 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Alex Matthews
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00350413