CDL Instructor (Weekdays)
Johnson County Community College is seeking experienced Class A Driver/Instructors(s) with the ability and desire to teach part-time (Saturday, Sunday and/or Monday).JCCC offers commercial truck driving to prepare new drivers for their commercial driver's license ("CDL") Class A. In this role, we instruct people how to properly conduct pre-trip inspections and safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.Multiple Positions Available: (CDL training course - 4 weeks (Monday - Friday; 8am - 5pm) Classroom Instructors & Driving Range Instructors needed -Classroom and Range Instructors will transport tractor-trailers to CDL examination sites (Mo & KS) during weekday exams. Examinations are often held on Tuesday - Friday but may vary. Hours can range from 7 AM to 5 PM. Classroom and Range locations are in Edgerton, Olathe, Overland Park and Kansas City, KS
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Present JJ Keller Course materials in a classroom setting
- Teach hands on portion of the Truck Driver Training Program (pre-trip inspection, and behind the wheel training)
- Maintain student files in compliance with JCCC standards
- Maintain Truck Driver Training Program equipment
- Maintain inventory of training supplies
- Work as member of instructional team to improve program and processes.
- Evaluate and grade students throughout the program
- Maintain relationships with employers in the trucking industry
- Other Responsibilities:
- Shuttle equipment as needed from the truck rental site to our site of instruction or testing sites
- Instructional Activities:
- Uses a variety of techniques and technology to actively engage students in the learning process.
- Adapts instruction to various student learning styles.
- Provides feedback to students in attaining course goals and objectives.
- Develops and utilizes a variety of assessment tools to validate course, program and institutional outcomes.
- Maintains clearly stated course outcomes, competencies, instructional methods, and methods of assessment in each course.
- Possess a class A-CDL driver's license and a current Department of Transportation medical card required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledgeable with Mircosoft program applications and a willingness to learn additional software programs
- Up to 2 years of similar or related experience
- Training experience with adult learners
- 2 - 5 years OTR driving experience preferred
- Class A-CDL driving experience with tankers, doubles and triples and hazardous materials endorsements are preferred.
A successful candidate will have the ability to assess student educational potential/need, communicate student progress, apply field experience to range instruction, develop range processes/materials, evaluate student performance, keep records and maintain files, plan and organize, and prepare reports. Our ideal candidates will have proven longevity with previous employers, excellent communication skills, possess demonstrated physical, intellectual and leadership ability to perform duties of over the road, basic skills and range instruction.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
Click here for a summary of our benefit information.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained.
For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park/Edgerton, Kansas, United States
Competitive rate of pay. Eligible for voluntary tax sheltered annuity, use of Lifetime Fitness Center, JCCC Hiersteiner Child Center, and Staff Development.
Hours per Week
Monday - Friday - 8am - 5pm. (Classroom & Range)
Resume Cover Letter Must possess a class A-CDL driver's license with a current Department of Transportation medical card. Please indicate your 3 year's over the road experience on your resume. Indicate your position preference type and include your availability for weekday evening and/or weekend work on your application. As part of the selection process, CDL Instructor applicants will be required to do a teaching presentation.