Associate Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer
Posting Number NC769P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/20821
Working Title Associate Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer
Position Number 15597
Department Vice President - Finance and Admin
About the University
Located in the capital city of Little Rock, the University of Arkansas System is a comprehensive, publicly-supported higher education institution composed of 20 unique campuses, divisions and administrative units that share the singular goal of serving Arkansas residents and others by developing and sharing knowledge to impact an ever-changing world. Serving more than 70,000 students and awarding more than 80,000 degrees and certificates in the last five years, the UA System further promotes an atmosphere of excellence that honors the heritage and diversity of our state and nation.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
Department Home Page http://www.uasys.edu/
Job Type Administrator
Summary of Job Duties
The University of Arkansas System invites applications for the position of Associate Vice President for Finance/Chief Financial Officer. The Associate Vice President for Finance/Chief Fiscal Officer ("AVP/CFO") reports to the President and is a key member of the President's senior executive staff. The AVP/CFO serves as the UA System's chief business and financial affairs officer, provides broad leadership in the development of institutional policies and procedures, and assists the System in accomplishing its mission. The successful applicant should be adept in articulating the financial focus of the System and should possess a commitment to working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and ages.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the coordination of all financial policies and procedures of the UA System
- Serve as the UA System's principal business and financial spokesperson to university personnel, boards, local government and community, state agencies, state legislature, federal government, and other educational and non-educational institutions
- Work collaboratively with internal and external constituents and other associate vice presidents in the development and implementation of System goals and objectives
- Prepare the system-wide consolidated financial statements annually
- Assist internal and external auditors with all pertinent data and information essential to completing required annual and special audits
- Coordinate with the President and campus/unit representatives the review of budget assumptions, including proposed tuition and fee increases
- Review quarterly budget-to-actual operating results and work with CFO's in preparation of Executive Summary analyses
- Evaluate campus budgets for debt capacity and recommend debt financing options (Bond Issues, Tax-exempt Lease Agreements, Bank Lines of Credit, College Savings Bonds Revolving Loan Fund, Sustainable Building Design Revolving Loan Fund).
- Develop cover letters and resolutions, working with General Counsel and President's office, for agenda items related to tax-exempt debt issuance, project financing, budgets, quarterly reports and tuition
- Provide professional leadership to campus fiscal officers through regular meetings and communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, financial management or related field
- Ten years of managerial experience in financial management, planning, and operations with a minimum of five years of senior leadership experience
- Proven expertise in budget and financial reporting with the ability to accurately analyze complex financial and accounting data
- Experience in capital oversight including expertise in the issuance of debt instruments as a source of financing capital projects
- Demonstrated understanding of how to work with information technology to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of institutional operations including process redesign and simplification
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? Yes
If yes, please specify Certified Public Accountant
- Senior-level administrative, budget, and financial experience in higher education
- Master's degree in business administration, financial management or related field
- Experience with higher education financial reporting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and financial standards established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Knowledge of human resource practices
- Leadership skills that encourage teamwork and participative decision-making
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
Physical activities associated with this position
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week (flexible, schedule may vary based on department needs)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/ event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Little Rock, AR - System Office
Appointment Percent 100
Salary Commensurate with experience
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
- Financial history background check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 06/23/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
University of Arkansas Human Resources
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact
Special Instructions Summary
Applicants must submit a cover letter/letter of application addressing relevant experience and qualifications, understanding of the fields for which the candidate would provide oversight and strategies for working in a non-profit/academic environment; a resume, including significant professional and civic activities; and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Little Rock, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)?
- Yes with active status
- Yes with inactive status
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree in business administration, financial management or related field?
- * Do you have ten years of managerial experience in financial management, planning, and operations with a minimum of five years of senior leadership experience?
- * Do you have proven expertise in budget and financial reporting with the ability to accurately analyze complex financial and accounting data?
- * Do you have experience in capital oversight including expertise in the issuance of debt instruments as a source of financing capital projects?
- * Do you possess a demonstrated understanding of how to work with information technology to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of institutional operations including process redesign and simplification?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Proof of Veterans Status