Lab Assistant I
Salary: $32,652 - $37,836
Title: Lab Assistant I
Category: Science and Research
Date Posted: 02/02/2017
Position Information: The Ponisio lab is recruiting a lab manager.
The Ponisio lab is a new lab at the University of California Riverside. With continued degradation of ecosystems, we need to know how to restore biodiversity, both for conservation and to ensure the provision of essential services provided by nature. To manage and restore diversity in human-modified systems, however, we need to understand the mechanisms that originally maintained biodiversity. The Ponisio lab studies the mechanisms operating in complex systems, specifically ecological communities, that underlie diversity maintenance.
The questions we are currently tackling are along these lines: 1) How do the characteristics of communities affect interaction patterns? 2) How do interaction patterns feedback to affect the characteristics of communities? 3) How can we design (restore) degraded communities to promote stability and evolutionary potential? (applying all the principles learned from the above).
We are beginning a new long-term experiment in the Madrean Sky Islands asking how the interaction patterns at the individual, species and network level effect ecosystem resilience and function, and how does the assembly history of a community influence those patterns. This is a collaborative project with Shalene Jha's lab at UT Austin and Terry Griswold at the USDA Logan Bee Lab. Our non-profit partner is Robinson Sudan at New Leaf.
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor's in ecology or related field and 1 year field data collection experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience in conservation and/or restoration ecology,
Experience processing insect specimens,
Experience with plant identification
Field project management
Proven ability to train and supervise assistants
Enthusiasm for learning/and or previous experience with programming, relational database management and other techniques for reproducible science
Commitment to fostering diversity in the sciences
Preferred Qualifications: Collecting and/or curation of bee specimens
Experience creating and managing large datasets
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview