Mental Health Counselor
Lewis University invites applications for a Mental Health Counselor. Under the direction of the Director of Counseling Services, the Mental Health Counselor will provide short-term counseling to students on a variety of issues, impacting the student's academic success or quality of life. The counselor will also assist the Prevention Education Coordinator in developing and delivering prevention education training and services related to alcohol and other drug misuse and underage drinking.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is a vigorous and growing institution located 25 miles SW of Chicago. Lewis University provides students a liberal arts-based and career-focused education, engaging students in the exploration and creation of academic, professional and personal opportunities in a supportive community. As a Catholic university in the Lasallian tradition, our approach is values-based and ethically-focused. For additional information see our website at http://www.lewisu.edu.
- Provide informational/educational programming to students
- Assist in the design and implementation of issue-based/outreach education programs
- Assist in the delivery of group counseling services as needed
- Maintain relationships with outside resources in order to facilitate appropriate referrals for students
- Assist with strategic planning and evaluation of alcohol and other drug prevention education
- Coordinate prevention education training and services related to alcohol and other drug misuse and underage drinking
- Provide on-call response in the absence of the Director of Counseling Services
- Complete appropriate clinical documentation on all client contacts
- Maintain and submit necessary information for monthly statistical reports
- Provide consultative functions with established campus groups and personnel
Master's degree in relevant discipline, i.e., Social Work or Counseling Psychology, is required. Must hold appropriate Illinois state licensure; Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) required. Must hold appropriate malpractice insurance. Must demonstrate knowledge and skill in the areas of short-term counseling, crisis intervention, program development, alcohol and other drug prevention education and intervention, consultation and outreach. In addition, the Counselor must exhibit personal attributes that enable him/her to facilitate interpersonal relationships and communicate with students, faculty, staff and administrators.
College counseling center experience preferred. CADC preferred. Experience with one-on-one motivational interviewing sessions (BASICS) preferred. Experience with preventive intervention with emphasis in alcohol and other drug education highly desired.
For a full description and to be considered for this position, please visit: http://jobs.lewisu.edu/postings/2292
Lewis University is an increasingly dynamic institution. We offer competitive salaries and a complete comprehensive benefits package including generous health care and tuition reimbursement for self, spouse and qualifying dependents.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.