First Year Advisor
Carthage College and the Division of Student Life seek a First Year Advisor in the Center for Student Success. As an active member of the Center for Student Success (CSS) staff, the Advisor will successfully facilitate new student entry and transition to Carthage, with a primary focus on academic integration. First Year Advisors in the CSS at Carthage College enjoy an interactive and collaborative relationship with faculty members and other college staff. The CSS staff works closely with other college personnel to address the social, developmental and academic needs of our first-year students. The fundamental purpose of academic advising is to help students become effective agents for their own lifelong learning and personal development. The First Year Advisor is responsible for cultivating a significant, lasting engagement between incoming students and Carthage College.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide developmental academic advising to approximately 150 students.
- Establish an intentional relationship with each advisee; creating an engagement between each student and their educational experience.
- Register incoming students for courses.
- Teach sections of the College Success Seminar course for new students.
- Move students toward responsibility for their own academic goal achievement.
- Identify and address student transition issues.
- Fulfill a variety of administrative responsibilities to accomplish these goals.
- Participate in appropriate college events such as advance registrations and new student orientation.
- Supervise Peer Coaches.
- Other Center for Student Success operational duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Licensure
- Master's degree and relevant experience.
- Experience with underserved student populations or assessment is preferred.
Applicants should submit a single PDF file including a cover letter, Resume or CV, and three references. Apply online using the link below and submit all materials through the “Resume Upload” section.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,500 full-time students, and 900 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a disability.