Part Time Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Position Title Part Time Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for assisting the Head Men’s Basketball Coach in directing and coaching the college’s basketball program along with supporting the Head Coach’s coaching philosophy. Primary functions are to coach the fundamentals of basketball as instructed by the Head Coach and coordinate recruiting.
• Assist with planning and managing practices
• On the court instruction and analysis
• Coordinates the recruitment of student athletes
• Assists in the recruitment of current East Georgia State College basketball players to four year institutions
• Discuss, implement, and teach the fundamental philosophy of basketball
• Critiques athlete’s performance to determine skills and abilities that need strengthening for overall team improvement
• Assist in maintaining a playing court suitable for a competitive college basketball team
• Schedules games
• Manages games; schedules umpires; acquires game balls; directs the preparation of the court
• Maintains basketball court
• Supervises the conduct of players
• Supervises and monitors the academic progress and eligibility of student athletes
• Teaches student athletes the fundamentals of the sport
• Attends staff meetings as required; practices and games throughout fall and spring seasons
• Enforces the East Georgia State College code of conduct for student athletes
• Assist in promoting growth of East Georgia State College
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge Required by the Position
- Knowledge of NJCAA and GCAA Rules and Regulations
- Knowledge of college-level athletic program management principles.
- Knowledge of sports field landscaping principles
*Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
*Skill in coaching and training of student/athletes
*Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
*Skill in oral and written communication
The Head Men’s Basketball Coach assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks complete work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include NJCAA and GCAA rules and regulations., Board of Regents, East Georgia State College, and College Athletic Department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work
- The work consists of varied program management and coaching duties.
- The variety of tasks to be overseen contributes to the complexity of the position
*The purpose of this position is to assist the Head Coach in directing and coaching the men’s college basketball program.
*Success in this position results in the successful provision of programming to East Georgia State College Student/Athletes.
*Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, students, coaches, recruits, umpires, referees, and student/athletes.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to motivate or influence persons.
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, and stooping.
- The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- The work is typically performed in an office, gym or outdoors.
*The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship, internship, playing experience, or having a similar position for one year.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Two years playing and/or coaching experience at the collegiate level or higher is preferred.
Requested Updates/Changes to Position Description Posting Detail Information
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College (EGSC) is an associate and baccalaureate degree granting, residential, liberal arts state college of the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to both academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.
Complete College Georgia
East Georgia State College strives to create and maintain a learning environment maximizing the opportunity for each student to succeed. Each individual student’s academic success is important. Accordingly, every employee of the college has a responsibility to carry out his/her position duties in a manner which enhances the learning environment and communicates that message to students each working day.
This position description describes the specific duties and responsibilities of this position. In addition, each EGSC staff member has the responsibility to contribute as needed to other projects and initiatives to assure that EGSC carries out its mission and attains its vision. This may, from time to time, require active participation on committees or performance of other duties not specifically described in this position description.
Open Date 06/02/2017 Close Date Open Until Filled No Background Check
An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), physical and drug screening.